Thursday 11 January 2024

From BruceR: Celtic Elves x4, US track [Fantasy] (65 points)

My next submission has me between the stacks in the Fantasy section. This is where I started a long, long time ago (fantasy). I occasionally flit back and find myself painting fantasy figures without purpose. Last year I found some ancient Alternative Army Celtic Elves I had in the bin of opportunity and painted them for the challenge. I found 4 more (2 taking human heads) I didn't have and of course picked up. These are those new folks. I love the chunky look and big ears. I seem to remember GW having a wardancer with a heart on his butt, so attempted to replicate.




Wee Heart








I started these in my quite, prairie place, and finished upon my return to civilization. 

Throwing in another gratuitous dog (Loki) pick with the frost encountered, while cattle sitting.

The next offering is a Trenchworx stl print. I've not made the plung into 3d printing, but bought the stl and a friend printed for me. These are great and I really love the ability to indicate the transport is loaded with troops. I painted the track this last week, but I couldn't resist and painted the riding troopers prior to the challenge. I went to my new go to (makeup brush) to add the shading. Included the riders to complete the picture. I did learn the fragility of prints when I tried to clean up the .50 cal gunner and the gun snapped and flew into the recesses of the game room, lost forever. My friend will print another and I'll add later.  






Library Fantasy shelves 


Points

4 28mm @5    = 20 pts

28mm vehicle  = 20 pts

Library Fantasy= 20 pts

Total                    60 pts

TeemuL: Those Elves look fantastic, Bruce! Very colourful, but still unified group. The transport means business, too. I like the highlights and wear and tear. It looks excellent. I'll give you 2.5 points for the driver, which is a half mini, and another 2 points for the amount of skin you have painted and the small heart. Definitely a task worth couple of points.

19 comments:

  1. Those AA fantasy figures have a very old school look and you've done then proper justice. Also like that subtle weathering on the truck. Which of the elves drives it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very characterful figures, Bruce, and a fine paint job! The half-track is a stunner though, very well done! Yeah, printed figures are a marvel but don’t drop them on a hard floor, and I have had an annoying number of bayonets snapped off. It doesn’t help being as clumsy as I am either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While the cheeky warrior is all heart, I like the striped fellow best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always liked the look of that AA range, very true to the Formorian mythos and they remind me of Dylan Moore's Combat Fairies. The half track is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful brushwork Bruce. Those elves are tremendous (love the @ss tat). So characterful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cor blimey, these look old elves. Nicely painted though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice mix of old and new, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man these are stunning, love the wood elves but man that half track and crew is so good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting on that half track

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on the butt and helmet markings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work on the Celtic Myth stuff Bruce. You've reminded me I have a pile of these still to paint as well. Yours are much nicer then mine though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Bruce, the Celts are cool but the half track is the biz 👏

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are really nice Bruce and now I know where and what I want for my next tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love those old school Elves and specially the PSP (Painting Support Puppy) photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Great work on the elves, very evocative. And the halftrack and passengers also look super!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love three details about these, the heart on the bottom of the elf, the head on the spike, and the weathered look and detail of the strapped on track equipment. Just great work. Also, I'm a 3d printer my self (some of the prints will show up here) I appreciate the purchase of the STLs. The sculptors appreciate it too I'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work on those elves! The track will look good on the table; I like the crew and dismounts.

    ReplyDelete