Thursday 11 January 2024

From MartijnN: Anglo-Saxons. Or are they? [New Acquisitions] (62 points)

I have more than enough unpainted figures, vehicles and terrain, not to mention STL's, to last me for the rest of my allotted time even if I live to be 115. However, at the end of the last year Berliner Zinnfiguren in Berlin had a sale (they have a great book selection too, and a great second hand selection, especially if you read German), and offered some Crusader Miniatures at much reduced prices. Now I have several sets of plastic Viking and Anglo-Saxon figures in stock (I'd like to give Saga a try), but I am really not too great a fan of building figures. And these were good old metals. So I obviously had to buy some.

Well, there was the Challenge Library coming to the rescue. They are really quite simple figures, so ideal to paint up for the New Acquisitions section. This must be the fastest I have ever painted figures after acquiring them! So here they are:

Eight spearmen. They are advertised as Viking Thralls, but they can really represent any Late Roman or Dark Age warrior, or even a Medieval one for that matter. They will end up as Anglo-Saxons in my forces, I suspect. They came with separate shields and without spears, I decided to leave some of them without shields for variety, as there are eight figures in the pack but only four separate poses. I was lucky in that I had just ordered some metal spears from CP Models. They are on the thin side compared to the oversized poles usually found on 28mm figures, but I actually think they work quite well.

As I said, it is a simple paint job, mostly using contrast paints and finished with a wash of Agrax Earthshade; I like the gritty look that that gives, even though it darkens them quite a bit. I kept the shield designs fairly simple and generic to preserve the generic, general purpose men-with-pointy-sticks characteristics.

That leaves us with this week's book recommendation: The Anglo-Saxons. The History of the Beginnings of England, by Mark Morris. Also a new acquisition for me:

In fact, it is so new that I have not even finished it entirely, but I have no hesitation in recommending it. Some may be put off by the publisher's blurb  ("The Sunday Times Bestseller". "An absolute masterpiece") defacing the cover, but I find it actually a thoroughly engaging and fascinating read. Obviously aimed at a wider audience, but there are footnotes for those who wish to pursue the matter further, and it is really well written.

Those interested in the period I would also point to David Crowther's Anglo Saxon England podcast, part of his The History of England podcast, for an entertaining and well researched look at the early history of England. It was a redo of the earlier episodes of the latter podcast, so it is no longer ongoing because finished, but still available to listen to. Also much recommended.

Finally, as requested, the map:

I wonder where to wander...

Well, that's it for me this week. Scoring is easy:

- 8x 28mm figures @ 5 = 40

- New Acquisitions section bonus = 20

Total: 60 points

TeemuL: What is more fitting for a Thor's Day than some vikings in disguise, acting as Anglo-Saxons? I try to paint my new acquisitions quite fast so that they don't pile up, but that means that those old minis won't get painted... A problem yet to solve. Anyway, a nice looking bunch and your Agrax Earthshade treatment combined with Contrast paints gives a nice finish on those textured minis. I'll add couple of bonus points for the hand painted shields.

33 comments:

  1. Crusader make nice figures Martijn and you've done them proud with the paintwork. Thanks for the book and podcast recommendations as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed that podcast, the guy has humor too.

      Delete
  2. Great figures and love the post - also read the Marc Morris book. He has one on Norman Invasion as well. Apologies as have saved your map as hopefully will have exactly the same Challenge rooms completed for next post. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, no problem and I’ll check that out!

      Delete
  3. The Dark Ages - great period and nice paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is sure is. I really should be building those plastics 😉

      Delete
  4. Excellent post Martijn. The brushwork is top notch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not seen these figures before they are nice and your paint work has brought them to life. Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they were first for me too. Fairly simple, but solid. I’m looking forward to painting more of them.

      Delete
  6. Excellent and very fast work on the Early medieval/ Late antiquity types. I'll track down the book, I expect that my uni library has a copy. Have you Read Ancestors or Buried, both by Alice Roberts?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! No I haven’t but will check those out!

      Delete
  7. Your dark age warriors look the part. Ready to take what you have or defend what they have. I will have to see if that book is available at our library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It being a “bestseller” I’m sure they will.

      Delete
  8. Great Dark Ages figures Martijn -- and the reading recommendations are always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy your posts, Martijn. A lovely mix of both personal interests, general hobby geekery and specifics on toy soldiers. A delightful read. Great work on these Anglo-Saxons. Please do give SAGA a try - it's light and 'gamey', but quite fun. Thank you for the book recommendation. I will check if it's available as an audiobook. Another I will recommend to you is Julian Rathbone's 'The Last English King'. A wonderful book on the Battle of Hastings from the perspective of one of Harold's Huscarls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt, that's very kind of you. I have the Saga rules, but not of played them yet because no force ready yet, but I’ve watchers some battle reports and they seem like fun. Will check the book out!

      Delete
  10. I've read 'The Norman Conquest' by Mark Morris (I think it's the same was Jez recommends above), so I will try to track down 'The Anglo-saxons' to sit next to it on my bookshelf.
    Speaking of Anglo-saxons, yours look great. A nice mix of colours and hand-painted shields, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Martijn, minis a re awesome and of course you can use them as different nationalities make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work- thanks for the book and podcast recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and you’re welcome. It’s a great listen!

      Delete
  13. Smashing work on these minis, they look great 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! I know that they are not even a pike block 😉

      Delete
  14. great choice of colours Martijn, I feel your pain in glueing plastics by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. Good toknow that I am not alone 😉

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the recommendations, I’ve bookmarked both! Nice figures too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. Nice figures, and thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete