Wednesday 28 February 2024

From Curt - Figures for 'Forbidden Psalm' and 'Kill. Sample. Process.' (45 Points)

Hey there!

Though I've been a little quiet of late I've not neglected my brushes entirely - like Bilbo with toast and butter, I'm just spread too thinly over too many submissions (typical). 

While translating all this distraction into completed work has been a bit of a struggle, I do have a few things to show for my efforts with this small group of fantasy figures that I did up for a recent 'Forbidden Psalm' game, and a rather odd pantalooned chap for the sci-fi rules, 'Kill. Sample. Process.'

Morka Porkas are fairly common beasties in both 'Mork Borg' and 'Forbidden Psalm'. I find them kind of hilarious and thought I'd do up a few for a recent game with the guys.


While they are rather ferocious, they can be tamed, but at a steep price. A 'lost limb condition' typically sets you up with one of these cuddly fellas as a steed. Most find it's just easier to simply climb a tall tree and let them rumble past. 3d prints from Tytan Troll Miniatures.

This big chap is 'The Feasting Wendigo', another wandering horror for 'Forbidden Psalm'. 


The original 50mm print was a little small for my tastes, so I have him here as a much more imposing 85mm. Design from Yasashi Kyojin Studio.

Finally, here is a super characterful mini from Knucklebone Miniatures. He'll be a member of my crew for 'Kill. Sample. Process.' which is the sci-fi version of 'Forbidden Psalm'. His cube head cracks me up and I really like the various textures and surfaces of his clothes, cybernetics and gear. Very fun to paint.


That being said, he's been sitting on my hobby desk for the past few months while I pondered on how to paint him. Inspiration finally came to me at work the other day when I saw a colour test pattern on a video editing machine. Bingo. 

I'm calling him 'NoSignal'. 

_____________________________________________

So, as to points:

We have three 28mm Morka Porkas @ 5 each for 15 points.

'The Feasting Wendigo' (85mm) for, say, 15 points?

'No Signal' (54mm) for 10 points.

Hmm, 40 Points total? I leave it to our worthy Wednesday Minion to provide final adjudication.

Thanks for popping in!

- Curt

***

I know many Challenges will relate to the tribulations of getting the "figures started to figures completed ratio" fine tuned. Even so, you continue to impress and amaze with your brushwork my friend, on a variety of unique and interesting figures and games. These are all fascinating sculpts - while the "Morka Porkas" certainly look the fear part, they also cause me to crave BBQ pork chops, so I see that as positive. The leopard-style spots on the pelts (?) are really well done.

As for "No Signal", not only is that a hilarious sculpt - brilliantly painted - but I just see that figure and name as a perfect symbol for so much of our current political moment...

That leaves "The Feasting Wendingo", which looks utterly terrifying, and I'm sure will not, in any way, show up in anyone's dreams offering a walk in the forest...I love/am horrified by how the varying flesh/skin/bark(?) tones come together from the different angles, really accenting the horror, and how whatever Psalm this thing is associated with should absolutely remain forbidden.

For points, I think Wendingo should step up a little bit more, to 20 points, just for the size, the sheer terror factor, and the fantastic paint job. Plus, I'm hoping the extra points will keep it away from me! 45 points for you!

Great work as always dude.

GregB


39 comments:

  1. Wonderful submission Curt - I do like the FPsalm setting and theme.
    That Wendigo is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great paintwork. The telly head guy is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one freakishly dark entry Curt, where do peoples minds go to think up this stuff, the painting is top notch as is always expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. …. Curt’s fuelled by late nite espresso ….

      Delete
    2. Kent, you have no idea. I have a pretty deviant sensibility for this kind of stuff (and lots of late night espresso...).

      Delete
  4. Gotta love that dollar store Prince Robot (a Saga reference for those that don’t follow the comic)! But my favourites are the three super cute piggies! Wonderful stuff Curt as always 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I was thinking about Saga when I was painting him up. I need to catch up with it as I fell off reading it years ago.

      Delete
  5. Whoa, great painting as usual Curt. Yet, very out there figures. The pigs are the least unusual. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. I'm all in on the 'out there'. :)

      Delete
  6. Amazing stuff Curt. I was quite happy to let those feral hogs wander into someone else’s yard. Love Mr TV head

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic painting. The Feasting Wendigo is truly horrifying and I do hope I can forget it before sleeping. "Kill. Sample. Process." For some reason seems more reasonable. Well for insane killing entities anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. Yes, 'reasonable' is a very elastic concept with these kinds of creatures. :)

      Delete
  8. That is some amazing painting. All of them are great but I like the wild piggies. 40 points seems hardly recompense :)
    RichardM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! Delighted you like the Porkas. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! Amazing work Curt! And also really highlights the diversity of games and styles in our hobby. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ed. Yeah, the hobby is bewildering in its choices, styles and themes.

      Delete
  10. Is this a root vegetable game off shoot? - cracking painting matey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I will confirm that no radish, turnip or rutabaga was harmed in the making of this post. Nope, this is totally separate insanity.

      Delete
  11. Lovely Morka Porkas, they look very real. No Signal reminds me of being a kid and waiting in front of a tv set for programs to begin. There was a similar picture shown then, which was used to adjust the channel exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Morka Porkas too.

      Wait, you stared at the test pattern and waited for programs to begin? You must have been a funny little kid, Teemu. :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome painting, lovely mad hogs, monster and Mr TV man, lovely stuff!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are brill, that TV testcard chap is the pick of the bunch! And I’m not sure the Morka Porkas will be singing hacuna matata any time soon….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. TV Boi my favourite as well, though I do like the Wendigo for the 'Oh nooo...' effect upon players who have to face it.

      Delete
  14. I do not know what that thing is feasting on but it looks disturbingly realistic. For the life of me I cannot think how and where you dig up these .. well.. interesting games and the miniatures that go with them. It’s a good thing you paint them so well though. Fabulous work!
    (And nosignal is hilarious. And I too spent time as a kid watching the test pattern on TV. In black and white, I should add. We had hardly any daytime TV though, which served to heighten anticipation. Might be a European thing 😂)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn. Yes, I fondly remember the B&W test pattern too, but my recollections are of the bittersweet sadness at seeing it the end of day's programming before shuffling off to bed. :)

      Delete
  15. I've really enjoyed the Last War; I do want to look into KSP in particular as well. Prince Robot is a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed reading your AAR on Five Parsecs from Home, so I hope KSP provides a similar vibe.

      Delete
  16. Wow, it looks so real, I don't think I'm going to sleep tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Contemplate filling in a tax return and you'll be off in no time. :)

      Delete
  17. All great miniatures but those porkers are da bomb!

    ReplyDelete