Wednesday 28 February 2024

From GrahameH: 15mm Italian Wars and Swiss Burgundian Wars - Essex Miniatures (996 Points )

Decided I needed a break from painting Cold War green (not quite true I am just half away through the basing of another Battlegroup) so had a look at to see what I could paint for my Italian Wars. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am completing my large Italian Wars armies and coming to the realisation that it couldn't fit on a 6" X 4" table. So I decided to split it up and have smaller armies representing each of the warring powers (MADNESS!!!). Having completed the army list it seems to need to paint even more figures, and having some pikemen left over I decided to start painting my Swiss for the Swiss Burgundian War. 

So first up are some Pike Blocks for Venice. Figures are Essex and Flags are from Petes Flags on Ebay. 3 blocks, each made up of 48 figures



The Swiss - Again 15mm Essex and Petes Flags. Each block consist of 48 figures, portraying the Zug, Obwalden and Zurich Cantons 






More Pike painted as the Soluthurn and Berne Cantons




Then three blocks of 32 fig halberds. Appenzell, Glarus and Obwalden Cantons





Finally some artillery



That it for this submission.

Total 

3 Guns = 12pts
144 Venice Pike = 288
240 Swiss Pike = 480
96 Swiss Halberds = 192
12 Swiss Artillery Crew = 24

Total = 996 pts
 
***
 
Well, nothing says "taking a break" like painting 400 pike men...?
 
That's another entire-Challenge's-worth-of-painting for your total Grahame.
 
GregB 

18 comments:

  1. Those pike blocks are superb! I like how you do 15mm faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice looking points bomb and a change from your other posts for sure, 996points must almost be a record. They look amazing all ranked up together well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a ton of work. Love seeing all these massed pike. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work Grahame and I’m in awe at your 15mm productivity. Personally with all of those sharp pointy sticks I would have taken my eye out - I’m constantly pricking myself and only working with a handful of knights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work and a great points bomb. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, a 'break' means something small before I return to the main game.

    That is amazing work - both quality and quality. I do Italian Wars in 28mm, but the 15s you've done give a great look to the pike blocks.
    RichardM

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! Incredible work Grahame! A points bomb and a half! Knowing those Essex figures very well, it looks like you replaced all of the pikes as well! Amazing! Hope they see the gaming table soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your solution for the problem. These don't fit on the table, I split these up and then fill the table with each sub force. Madness, I agree, but in a good way. Excellent entry and those units look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incoming! What a splendid points bomb, I also do the Great Italian war in 28mm ,yours are more impressive at 15mm!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lot of pointy sticks. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see a post with a large number of pike blocks like this in one go! Will be great on the table-top. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG that’s amazing! Great job, well done. I love Essex figures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, that's one heck of an entry, awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete