Thursday 29 February 2024

From PaulOG: Last Hurrah Legionaries (118.5 points)

I'm away for work and wont be back until after the Challenge. I'll complete my Duel Wallah duties from afar but this is my last submission for AHPC 14.

Despite having planned (and acquired models) for tribal warband allies for Caesar, I recently discovered that in fact... I cant under the army lists! Oops. An emergency resupply of legionaries was required.

So here are two more Legionary units, using 1st Corps models and taking me to a total of 10. Frustratingly, these are smaller sculpts to the rest of my army, more true 25s really. That said, they look good on their own bases and their poses give them a different look to my other troops. Shield decals by LMB Studios, and 2 fancier ones were hand painted for the Centurion and his Signifer to mix things up.

Another Command Figure to take charge on the wing, a Warlord sculpt this time. Nicely detailed but  more statuesque and fancy in style, as befitting his rank. Maybe a wealthy Senator's son spending time with the Legions to further his political career back in Rome after the campaigning season.

Ave Caesar!

Next a pair of Lictors, destined to accompany Caesar on my army's command base. I got the General's famous white charger done but sadly ran out of time for the man himself and really didn't want to rush such an iconic figure. So here they are, albeit unbased - mea culpa!

Their broad flat features and big noses are very Wallacus and Gromitus!

And finally a Hoplomachus for my gladiator ludus, filling a gap in my retinue. This style of fighter was modelled on the Greek Hoplite and was distinguishable by his spear, small shield and greaves. Traditionally, a Hoplomachus would be paired to fight either a Threax or Murmillo.

I've gone all-in with the Hoplite style and am very happy with how he turned out with the matched red and white apparel.


That's 22 completed figures @ 5 points each (110) and 2 more unbased @-25% (7.5 points) for a total of 117.5 points. Added to my tally of 882 gets me to...999.5 points for the challenge. So I've hoping my hand painted shields are worth a bonus point between them to squeak me over the 1k milestone, and I throw myself at the mercy of the Minion :-)

From Millsy: Ave dudorum! Very nice indeed Paul and despite the difference in size I'm sure these will fit very well alongside your other units in the army. Wallacus and Gromitus made me laugh out loud, so I feel I must respond by asking "Plus caseus Gromitus?" Your efforts will be missed for the remainder of AHPC 14 but with a bonus point you at least sneak over the line and hit your target for the year. Safe travels and hurry home mate, my Numidians are keen for a fight!

24 comments:

  1. Nice additions mate well done. The first corps ones are a lot smaller than today’s giants but still quite good miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - yes they are indeed, was just disappointed I couldn't mix & match them. I'm sure they will still fight well for the Honour of Rome!

      Delete
  2. Those look great Paul, well done - hope you have a good trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Lictors look suitably intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - wait till "the General" joins them! :-)

      Delete
  4. Nice work all together and a great Challenge from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The legionnaires might have been unplanned but they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on your travels Paul. I too have had the on they're not in the army list moments. I normally ignore such lists and use what I think suits my interpretation of history better. However, if you're using TtS! it's worth posting a polite "how come I can't have these" query on the TTS forum because this often gets a "oh right, I'll change that" reply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say, legions look great!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peter- I did indeed post on the FB group and got the designer's thoughts from the man himself, which was quite useful. TTS has a great community behind it and a very engaged author, which makes a huge difference I think

      Delete
  7. Your painting is, as always, superb! Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Take your time with the duels, we will manage I am sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice work on these, they would look so cool on any table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on cracking the 1000! Your Romans look great, and I look forward to seeing them on the table! Travel well and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete