Monday 5 January 2015

From ClintB (Paint Monkey) - GW Genestealers / Aliens (65 Points)

Today I have 12  Games workshop "Genestealers" and a "Broodlord" (He's the bigger one but you probably already guessed that.) Many of us, if not most of us, have painted some of these in the past and contemplated the idea of using them in an "Aliens" Game set on "LV426" at the colony of "Hadley's Hope". I am no different. While these are not exact copies of the Giger "Alien" they are easy enough to find and will serve the purpose well enough for a game. I am sure every player at the club will have seen the film so no surprises there!


As such I have gone for the typical black/green colouration but with tongues and claws in  lighter accent colours. The green was achieved by using my darkest commercial green as a base coat and also a final highlight and two layers of black writing ink of the type I used when I was a boy with desks had inkwells. Yeah I am that old. Say what you want about the ark, but it did float!



The slotta bases were all covered in plasti-card with the same decking texture and then painted in a couple of metallics and a mix of Flesh wash and orange ink, was run into the pattern to look like rust. A final coat of silver was applied haphazardly to look like scuff marks. But you can't see all that clearly on the Photographs which I quite like as you can see it in direct sunlight. I don't recall Hadley's Hope being all that rusty but call it artistic licence.



The Broadlord will take the role of the alien queen as it stands significantly taller than your average Joe Alien (Genestealer). And along with the rest was a chuckle to paint as I know my club will get a lot of fun from misquoting the film as they play. Not least of which when they say "Game over man, Game over!". We all know someone is going to!



I went for a clear gloss varnish as my memory of the film back in 1986 was that they did have a slimy/chitin look to them all. So I was never going to use Matt varnish. I do already have my colonial marines bought (but not yet assembled) and for those I will be using "Defiance Games" UAMC Infantry. So you may expect them close to the end of the challenge.


You can see a couple of rust spots here on a close up of a genestealer. As well as the hint of green mixed in with the Black. This is by new means a novel idea for a game but one I have yet to do so It was about time I did so.



And this last picture is just to remind you all what I was aiming for. I have yet to source any "face-huggers" so any suggestions for them would be well received but "Crooked Dice " do something similar and I already have some of their astronauts so that might be the best route. And I shall be building the terrain in the warmer weather.

That's it for this week. 12 Games Workshop Plastic Genestealers, I think I need to source more just to let players have fun firing at them, and 1 Broodlord figure to act as the queen A bigger target for my players to try to hit.

All the best Folks.


From Curt:Ah, wonderful work Clint. I love the hi-gloss black/green on these fellows, to which the claws provide the perfect counterpoint (excuse the pun). I also really admire how you did the decking - a brilliant effect I think. I look forward to seeing the upcoming Marines.   
Okay, back to the painting desk Methuselah.   :)

31 comments:

  1. Nice work on these Clint. Very, errrmm, gruesome green :)

    So, one person has followed my lead with Aliens - anyone else going to show us theirs? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tams. No I don't thing anyone is as mad as you and me. But I could be wrong. (And yes inspired by yours..... now back to historical for a bit)

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a challenge...

      Delete
  2. I was going to recommend the Alien Vs Predator miniatures game by Prodos, but it appears that Fox are IP problems with something... if they ever get released, their face huggers (and aliens) are gorgeous models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall check them out. Thanks Paul. I think I will only need 1 face hugger so I am in no rush.

      Delete
  3. "It's a bug hunt!"

    Superbly slimy bugs too, well done Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan. You are right, it's not a stand up fight.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. Historical (more Sudan) Next just to keep it real. And my "Anti Hero" Pictured by one of my favourite artists. (No Not LS Lowery)

      Delete
  5. That big guy is sweet. That pose is so dynamic and full of tension. The way you painted his mouth is perfect.

    Fabulously gruesome work Paint Monkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Colonial historicals next but not A Dave D type amount! And I have a few Zulus started mentioned here so not likely to be called a sandbagger as I am declaring them to be in progress)

      Delete
  6. Super creepy, ughh. And that's a compliment, cuz I hate these critters, moves always freaked me out.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I am saying nothing about how creepy they are in real life, Just check under your bed!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful stuff Clint. They look terrific and will look good gracing either the tabletop or the "Space Julk" tiles :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Simon. I have only played "Space hulk" once. (I Know heresy). But I think these will work well on the table top. At least I hope so.

      Delete
  8. Love 'em Clint. The gloss finish echoes the slimy carapace of the movie equivalents nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy. I was only trying to emulate the film effect by using lacquer (No Not for your hair) I think it was successful.

      Delete
  9. Very nice indeed and you got the slimy effect spot on

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian. Giger did some interesting things when conceptualising the "Aliens". They have both carapace/chitin plates as well as bones most noticeable in the spine. So if in reality they would actually be slimy is unclear. One things for certain I am not brave enough to walk up and touch one.

      Delete
  10. Nice work! Love that 'glossy' effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. It is actually lacquer not varnish. But it seems to give the correct film like finish.

      Delete
  11. They are perfect! Fantastic painting work, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juan. I would like to have gotten actual "Aliens" but these were the cheapest and most easy to source. (I don't use Cheap and GW very often)

      Delete
  12. Nice contrast, Clint! I like the slimey look of them! Tell Paint Monkey to get cracking on those marines! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might happen quickly. I am having second thoughts about my 500 Zulus!
      Thanks David

      Delete
  13. Love them!
    Yours (here) and Tamsin's (posted earlier) aliens have really hit the nail on the head, for me.
    The glossy varnish really does bring the models to life.
    I'm going to stop now, before I begin to gush :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little different for me but a nice change of pace. Thanks Roy.

      Delete
  14. 'My mommy always said there were no monsters, no real ones...but there are'
    Slimy, shiny aliens - what's not to like? Love the colour scheme as well, a nice variation whilst still harking back to the movies. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I must admit I was pleased with the colour of the green. I was not sure after the first black ink wash, but the varnish/lacquer and the second ink wash have really helped.

      Delete
  15. Nice work, I like these old genestealer figures. I have the latest release of space hulk and the genestealers are in all kinds of weird poses with extra stuff on their integral base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the new Genestealers. And to be honest I don't like them. As you say all kinds of junk on the bases!

      Thank you Sean.

      Delete