Monday 5 January 2015

From AnneO - Hasslefree Modern (5 Points)

This is my sixth submission for this years Challenge. At this time last year I had only submitted three, two of which were Theme submissions. While six may not seem like much to the heavy hitters out there, for me it represents doubling my output.

This is Finn, a 25mm figure from Hasslefree, sculpted by Kevin White.

I sculpted the base insert using Super Sculpey.





This figure is worth five points.

Curt has kindly allowed me to post the following vignette to share as a piece of related work for NO POINTS.

During late Summer my Father-In-Law was in hospital several times. The Hubby and I spent much of our time driving back and forth to visit him.  At the beginning of the Challenge I noticed this piece sitting on the painting table and realized I had completely forgotten about it and had not even posted it on my blog.

These are Hasslefree Juveniles, sculpted by Kevin White and are scaled to 25mm.

I sculpted the broken concrete on the base and the brick wall for the backing using Super Sculpey.


I have come to enjoy painting Kevin White's sculpts as the details are crisp and the lines are so clean. Further Kevin has a great knowledge of human anatomy and he brings that to all of his work. I have several more of his figures and will be painting them for this years Challenge.

From Curt:
As usual you've treated us to some wonderful work, Anne. 

I too love Kevin White's work. He has such a fine grasp of how human bodies move (and perhaps more importantly) rest. You've done a brilliant job with all of these pieces. The colour blending on the pistoleer is fabulous (I wish I had his hair...) and I love how you've done the display base on your corner vignette, especially the urban decay along the front edge. Wonderful work and thank you for sharing it with us.

33 comments:

  1. Quality over quantity Anne lovely work, both pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, wish I could emulate you but a different league

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of light and shade, effortless blending, perfect colour gradation, masterclass-level basing... yep, that's an O'Leary, alright!

    Anne, these are both wonderful pieces. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good work, Anne! I may paint more, but yours get better each and every time you paint the next. Finn, for example, is even better than any of the individual kids from the vignette. The trio of kids are light years from my best! ;)
    Very excellent work, Anne! I am looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work. Your use of colours is really spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another treat for the eyes Anne. Your talent for brushwork continues to grow and amaze us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your paintwork is stunning! the highlights, the blending, the scenery!
    well done Madame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to slowly work my way up to a larger dio with these little vignettes. I've one planned for Hot and I hope it works out.

      Delete
  8. Lovely work Anne! You have such a distinctive style and sense of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on both. I really admire your blending on them and nice work on the bases as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite lovely figures all around. I love the hair on Finn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way that hair is sculpted is so dynamic and it was fun and easy to do.

      Delete
  11. That really is a very nice job. You are really one of the best painters I have seen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb work Anne. Love it. Super sculpey sounds like lots of fun. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is simply breath-taking painting Anne. Exactly how it should be done with none of that black-line separating colours nonsense a lesser painter might try and get away with ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do line to separate areas, but I do it after I'm done painting. I don't use black, just a darker version of the base colour. The lining isn't really visible, but if it's not there, it's noticeable.

      Delete
  14. Wow Anne, Finn's eyes are some of the best I've ever seen! Lovely work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a new technique for eyes that I learned on Reaper Forum. For the lining I use Walnut Brown and the trick is to widen the eye at the bottom a bit. It gives one more space to do pupils.

      Delete
  15. Anne, the blending on Finn is fantastic. You skills have come a long way in the last couple of years. Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just fantastic - inspiring stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some awesome painting here! Love the bright green you used on the vignette.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you mentioned on my blog that I was going to be a featured character I thought it would be the girl with the bat! Everything you paint is a winner. Next challenge I will slow down and try to work in a higher standard just like you do. Thank you Anne for bringing me to my senses! (For a Given Value of My senses)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now would I do something like that to you?

      Your submission today was seriously good Clint. I'm taking a page from your book and trying to do more entries than Bonus entries. Hope to increase that amount every year.

      Delete
  19. Lovely work! and I would never of thought that the terrain elements were hand-made by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty basic stuff I'm doing. One day I'll learn to work with Green Stuff and attempt more 3D bits for basing.

      Delete
  20. Wow - real quality stuff here Anne. I think Hasslefree figures are superb but your painting lifts them another notch and infuses them with tons of character. And without wishing to detract in any way at all from your figures, those bases are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Whites figures are easy to paint as the detail is so crisp. And the figures aren't cluttered with unnecessary detail. You know just where to put the highlights on them.

      I've got about three more to do for the Challenge.

      Delete
  21. Exceptional work and thanks for sharing the vignette.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all for your kind comments. This year I'm feeling more like I'm part of a group. Last year I felt like a bit of a loner, but doing non themed entries has changed that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely work as always! I'm particularly envious of your mastery of flesh tones. You really get the colors, shading, and blending just right.

    ReplyDelete