Monday 5 January 2015

From BrianB - 15mm Civilians and Martian (17 Points)

My next submission is two parts that are only kinda related. The first half are five armed civilians from Khurasan miniatures. These are actually from a modern zombie set that also came with a giant zombie wolf and some hikers. They might be designed for moderns but I thought they would work for Victorians too. Except for the hikers in their puffy jackets.


I tried to paint them in tones to emphasize the 19th century look. For the one female figure I extended her dress to a more decent length and added an apron with some putty. I wasn't really sure about the coat so defaulted to a canvas slicker. The other one I had trouble with was the gent in the sweater. I tried for a tartan pattern but it ended up looking like an ugly Christmas sweater.



For the second half I tried out a test paint for my Martians from All Quiet on the Martian Front. This is one of the metal drone miniatures. I considered both going with all black or chrome but didn't really think I could pull off either one. I decided to try for a more Steampunk look with brass and a metallic greenish blue. I'm going to have to try it out on one of the full size walkers next.


Five 15 mm foot is 10 points and I guess the Martian is closest to a 15 mm vehicle for 6 more. So that will be 16 points to my tally.



From Curt:

Very cool. I like how you repurposed these modern miniatures for your Victorian Sci-Fi game just by a clever use of putty and using a 'victorian' earth-tone colour pallet (the 'ugly Christmas sweater' comment made me laugh). That's gotta be worth a point.

I also really like that metallic green-blue you achieved on the walker - it looks very sharp especially contrasted with the brass accents.

Great work!

19 comments:

  1. I really like the metallic effect Brian. I did something similar but less subtle with my 40K Necrons. They look great en masse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really did a nice job on those people. The pallet is perfect and I can't imagine trying to greenstuff a 15mm mini. I love the colors on your Martian walker. I look forward to seeing one of the full sized ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work really like the stuff I see from all quite on the Martian front... it's not thematically what I think of as my kind of game but it sure is fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really impressed with the changes you made to the womans dress and by adding the apron. You nailed the look you wanted with those figures.

    Your walker looks perfect the way it is and I don't think you should mess with it. Keep that for your larger figures and people will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking paint jobs! Really love your work on that Martian walker thingy. The metalics look great and add to that 'Steampunk' feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... Just need a heat Ray now... Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue/green metallic works really well. Infact I would say it is the best Martian colour-scheme I have seen on this range of figures. Top Notch mate, top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you're tempting me into All Quiet territory now. You and Ray with your 15mm!

    ...saying that I've now got images of the Martian walkers stomping towards Ray's NYW French...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice figures! I'm impressive d with mods you made on the 15's; the walkers colors look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work. The civvies look top notch and the painting on the Martian is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work, especially the Martian

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you everyone! I'm really liking the All Quiet stuff so far. I haven't played a game but I hear it's pretty good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work on these, I would never have guessed they weren't originally purposed to be Victorians.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow- very creative. I like how the drone came out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work all around. The civvies are fab, and the drone is especially clanky and well done.

    ReplyDelete