Monday 5 January 2015

From AlanD - 15mm WWII Hetzers (21 Points)

If any armoured vehicle can be called 'cute' it is probably the Hetzer. These three are from Skytrex, and they are pretty nice little models, although I think the wheels don't quite look right.



I've painted these in a 1945 colour scheme to go with the Battle Group Fall of the Reich force I'm painting up. From what photos I can find it looks like it was rare for Hetzers to have national insignia at this stage of the war, so I left off the Balkenkreuz. Purists will say I've taken liberties with the camo as I think the design didn't actually vary much between vehicles with this pattern, but hey.



These little armoured mice should give me 18 points, plus whatever crumbs Curt wants to throw my way for the crew. Happy New Year all!


From Curt:One of my favourite WWII tanks. You've done a great job on these Dux. The camo looks very nice Freehand or airbrush?  
And I'll toss in a few extra 'crumbs' for the commanders. ;)  Nice work!

25 comments:

  1. These mice have very sharp teeth! and look fabulous. Also wondering if the camouflage is free hand or air-brush

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hetzer was one of the first model kits I ever built, many moons ago, so I have a good deal of affection for this pint-sized Panzer! Love the 'ambush' scheme, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! @Curt and Adam - it's freehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a base coat of toned down German Camo Green, then the red earth and yellow patterns were brushed on then drybrushed to tone the contrasts down a bit. Sorry about the dark photos.

      Delete
  4. The brushwork on this is so smooth I would have guessed airbrush. You've done a splendid job of getting the cammo patterns to work, but also to blend well with the base colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stuff Dux. Cracking camo work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never liked the Hezter. Don't like the shape at all. Having said that I think these are superb which says something for how much I like your paintwork Dux!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pft! Don't like the Hetzer... Philistine...

      Delete
    2. Thanks Michael! But come on, they are pretty cute.

      Delete
  7. Love the camo, great looking mice

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heaters are cracking little things, very nicely done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Certainly one of my favourite tanks of that stage of the war. You've really done a great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like a Hetzer.. Nice and easy to hide as small?.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic painting work, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Purists will say I've taken liberties with the camo" Well purists can £!*& off! Because these look the nuts. Really nice but not cute at all, a bit too deadly to be called cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice armor, Dux! The camo is very well done

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work! Hetzers are some of my favourite all-time pieces of army. As you say, they're so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on the camo - and freehand as well! Hats off to you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work Alan. I love these vehicles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice brushwork. The camo is ace.
    There is a Hetzer in the tank park at the armoured museum, Canadian Forces Base Borden, which is quite good. I have a friend who had her wedding photos taken in front of it. Sadly, it is painted an alarming shade of sky blue. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I've posed in front of the one at Bovington, that has a much more convincing colour scheme.

      Delete