Friday 29 January 2016

From ChristopherS - 28mm Almoravid Light Cavalry (100 points)



Continuing on with my 28mm Almoravid Impetus army with some light cavalry additions. They consist of two Berber units with javelins and one unit of Guzz with composite bows. Normally my Almoravids are a mix of manufactures, but these units are all Artizan which imho are some of the best in terms of Moor figures around.



I stayed with the low key earthy theme colours with just a bit of green as with the rest of the army. The shields are hand painted as I wanted to keep a certain look as with previous units I've done.



More Almoravids on the way next week hopefully if things stay on course and maybe something else if I can manage.



So 9 mounted 28mm figures should give me 90pts to my existing points which should put me ahead of my rival Nick.....until Saturday at least.
After a careful review of this submission, I can say, with confidence, "holy sh*t"!  Christopher, that is some top notch brushwork.  The colours are so smooth, muted and sombre on the one hand, but also clear and bright.  Tremendous, tremendous work.  Such beautiful cavalry, with splendid groundwork.  And the detail work on the shields is fantastic too.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of these figures - wow! 

So yes, this does get you 90 points to start, but I'm tossing in 10 points for the hand painted effort on the shields.  I know the result is supposedly "low-key", but as I said, you somehow manage to keep the details subtle and have them jump out at the same time.  Well done!

47 comments:

  1. Erm I am sure the figures are great but the pictures don't show up on my screen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it seems photobucket is having issues today.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to figure out the picture issue - but trust me, they are frigging amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah good I lookforward to seeing these.

      Delete
    2. Thank you gents and I'll keep trying to access photobucket until the problem is solved for everyone wanting to view.

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. I love these guys (and yes I can see them)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are truly amazing. Fantastic painting, basing, everything

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful entry , great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK time for me to snap my god dammed brushes in half :-)

    Stunning work, love them one of the top entries this year

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they are not expensive brushes like W&N then feel free to do so otherwise I would happily accept your unwanted W&N's!(sarc.):-) Seriously though Ian thank you very much for the kind words and enjoying your ancients challenge!

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. I really would like to see some close up pictures of these. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and putting all three large bases in picture didn't allow for super close ups, but if you click on the pics they do get a bit larger if that helps.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  8. Outstanding work Chris! These are simply awesome and will fit nicely with your other stuff. Can't wait to have a game with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nick and I'd be more then happy to see them in a game!

      Christopher

      Delete
    2. So then wing your brush my friend!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic job on these Christopher. Up to your usual high standards and good on for beating your rival (for now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Anne and indeed ahead very a little while at least.

      Christopher

      Delete
  10. Very nice looking cavalry Christopher! You've nailed the color tones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fabulous work one more time, congratulations Christopher!
    now I have to get up of the mat because I fell of my chair when I saw your submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much TFJ I really appreciate the support!

      Christopher

      Delete
  12. They are wonderful, great painting work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely painting, tones, and basing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christopher - these are brilliant. Some of your very best work, mate! I love the natural look of the figures - and the basing sets them off wonderfully. Top work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you very much Sidney I'm happy you like them!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are absolutely stunning Christopher! That vibrant green is lovely and I really like your basework as well. A top shelf unit there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely colors on them and really fine brushwork! They compliment the basework really well....or is it the other way around? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent painting. Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete