Wednesday 27 December 2017

From MartinC - 28mm Bolsheviks (65 Points)

I've finally managed  to get started on this year's challenge. My opening submission are some Bolsheviks for Back of Beyond. I've been reading the Great Game by Peter Hopkirk and have become a little obsessed with the North West Frontier and the expansion of the Russian, Turkish and British Empires. The Russian Revolution provides a great opportunity to battle against imperial and tribal forces.

These 13 figures the the start of my Bolshevik force. They are from Copplestone and are nice figures. The painting is my usual style as I get warmed up





Good to be back in the challenge, 13 x 28mm figures = 65pts.

________________________________

First, welcome back to the Challenge, Martin!

It's -29 C here in the Saskatchewan prairies, a very 'Dr. Zhivago' day, so it's quite fitting to see these Bolsheviks, shivering in their greatcoats and lambswool caps. 

Lovely work Martin! I really enjoyed Hopkirk's 'Great Game' and am now working through China Meiville's 'October' and getting inspired to do my own Copplestone minis. I like how you did the soft grey of their astrakhan hats and the groundwork looks like the first snow is about to fly. 

Will we be seeing some armoured cars and cavalry being added to this force? I look forward to seeing how it develops.

65 points for you, Comrade!

31 comments:

  1. Great job! Now I am also working on the topic of the Civil War in Russia and this work inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, the muted palette really suits the figures. Jolly characterful little sculpts too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool minis - how is Cornwallis coming? I had to strip and re-prime George W since i had initially started him before the challenge. Now we’re all legal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, Cornwallis not even primed yet - need a better base for him. Wanted to get my eye back in 1st

      Delete
  4. Great work as alway Martin they look cold but determined

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, that was the plan, hope 1st Christmas was brilliant

      Delete
  5. I quite like these, Martin! Well done on them! I really like seeing the copplestone castings painted up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, they weren't the best castings, big mould lines, but great sculpts

      Delete
  6. Cheers Curt, I can highly recommend on Secret Service in the Ottoman Empire (or something like that) by Hopkirk - if anything even better. No armoured cars but a Tachanka and some cossacks (Naps but think will double up.) Also painting up some Nap Back of Beyond figs for Russians vs Persians

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I quite like the period and you and Alex actually got me thinking again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Martin! A great way to ease yourself back into the swing. Looking forward to seeing more of these.

    It's +29C here today and very pleasant it is too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though -29 is a bit nippy, I'll take cold over heat anyday. You can always dress for the cold. ;)

      Delete
    2. Cheers Millsy. Every year I have to remember how I paint stuff.

      Delete
  9. I am extremely impressed with these chaps - Copplestone do some great figs, and you've done a splendid job bringing then to life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely painted soviets, they look like good sculpts too.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, sculpts great, casting a bit wonky

      Delete
  11. The look very “Soviet” to me, great painting work

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful work Comrade, the Kommissar is greatly impressed with your contributions to our cause! Those Cooplestone figures have tempted me more than once or twice. I love the ruddy skin tones, they match my own from my brief trips outside in the frigid -42 weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. cheers Tavarich, I was going for that "God it's cold" look

    ReplyDelete