My rush to the finish got slightly sidetracked on the weekend with the aftermath of my little sisters wedding having a certain unplanned impact on my painting efforts. Alcohol may or may not have had something to do with it, but suffice to say not much painting got done, but at least I could watch plenty of NHL games from the previous night while lying on the sofa!
Still I did manage to add a few more units to my growing Saxon army. This time a normal line infantry regiment in the form of Regiment Niesemeuschel and then two artillery batteries from the second Saxon division. Same paint recipe as always with block painting, wash and reapplying colours. The flag is from GMB Designs. I've been using their flags for all my projects whenever they just have suitable ones. Really the best in the market in my opinion!
I also finally based two Skaven warriors that I had already painted up in late December. They were the paint test minis for my Skaven project and were waiting for their comrades. Just mainly wanted to see which would look better, skin or fur coloured body. I never got around to painting the 18 other Clanrats from their unit during the challenge so it was high time I put some groundwork on them and submitted the duo. As there will be over a hundred of these guys I want the basing scheme to be really simple. Hence I just threw on some Vallejo ground effects and pigments and covered most of the base with fallen leaves that I made with Green Stuff World leaf cutters that I got for christmas from the missus! Simple, but it works. On some rats I'll probably throw in some tufts as well, but these were really just quick and dirty versions to get them done.
This final entry consists of 19 AB infantry figures, 16 artillery crew and four 6pdr guns, which should give me 172 points and then the two clanrats for a further 10 points. This should put me at 950 points, which is just 50 points shy of my goal. Pretty good effort, but it was just too far!
Quite a few minis still left on the painting table in various states of readiness. I had two towns from Total Battle Miniatures almost complete as well as Chaos Terminator squad needing just about a days worth of work. A Dropfleet Commander civilian ship and some more Blood Bowl rats were also started at different points of the challenge, but never got too much paint on them. I should probably learn to finish a single project before picking up the next ;)
Finally thanks to Curt for organizing this wonderful event once again! And thanks to all the Minions who help alleviate our mighty Snowlords burden! This is my sixth time participating and I can tell you it's one of the high points of every hobby year! Wonderful fun seeing everyones entries and it really gets my painting mojo flowing. It's pretty amazing how much more you can get painted with some friendly competition going on!