And now, the end is near
and so I face the final Curt Geld.
My desk is almost clear
as I put this final spurt on.
I've done what I had to do
(though in a rather RSI way)
to shrink the painting queue.
And did it my way.
Through tears and laughter too
I've plied my brushes, sprayed my varnish.
My language never blue,
though occasionally Darn!-ish.
I've seen some detailed work,
some done in a sci-fi way,
some absolutely stunning
and some in "I wonder why?" way.
But every post I made
I did it my way.
Yes there were times, I'm sure you knew
when my paintbrush I would chew
but through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spat it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And painted my way
What is a gamer? What has he got?
Besides a brush and a paint pot?
He sees the points. He knows the score.
And if he paints, then he gets more.
The record shows, I took the blows
And did it my way.
My very final entry for Challenge number 8 is a pair of pirate ships, rigged as sloops.
They're both the same toy, obtained from an everything-for-nearly-a-Pound Shop (is that Thrift Shop in the US?) where most things worth having are actually more like £10. I stripped them down, though I've left some rather out of scale features such as the wheel on the deck. I might replace them with more authentic scale items at some point.
I decided I'd paint them in rather different styles, as the whole thing is something of an experiment, and also keep the rigging as simple as I could so that it looked okay but didn't get in the way of the figures. Fortunately, an earlier post by Miles gave clear instructions on rigging as a sloop, and also suggested materials. In keeping with the idea of experiment, I tried using bell wire for part of the rigging on one ship - it works quite well, but looks a little angular. So I used shirring elastic for the rest - which I'd recommend, as long as you can tie knots in stretched material that leaps out of your hand. A detailed inspection of both ships will certainly show that the rigging is hardly ship-shape - but it's functional, and attractive enough at a distance.
I'm rather pleased with the results, even though they're a bit clumsy. I've learned quite a lot in doing this, and will probably invest in a couple more toys, when I find them, to treat in a similar way with my improved knowledge.
Wow, what an absolutely brilliant way to wrap up your Challenge Noel. These two sloops look just terrific. It's amazing what a well-executed repaint and a spot of rigging will do to some of these toys. Now you're ready for some backyard wargaming on the Spanish Main!