Monday 7 January 2019

From SamuliS: Maximum Firepower! (25 points)

My third and last Imperial entry to the challenge (at least until I buy more!). The final two miniatures to bring my Imperial force to roughly 1000 points which should be plenty enough as the standard game size is 800. Following on from the fast moving Scout Speeders it's time for the slow and lumbering AT-ST and General Maximillian Veers of the Assault Armor Division though without his AT-AT walker.


Again far better castings than the basic Stormtroopers with Veers having fairly crips detail (at least for a bucket plastic miniature) and the AT-ST being a really nice looking sculpt. The only gripe I really have with them is that a lot of the AT-ST comes preassembled leaving ejector pin marks and seam lines in areas where it's difficult or impossible to fix them.


Fantasy Flight Games has pretty bad assembly instructions so I went about looking at pictures from the internet and put the AT-ST together from that. All went well until in the final weathering stages I noticed there were some "L" and "R" markings on some of the parts and naturally I had them wrong way round (as did quite a few others judging from pictures online). I was contemplating on sticking the mini in a freezer so that the superglue would break and allow me to take them apart, but in the end thought that it would require so much extra work that I just didn't want to bother. Let's see if some Star Wars fan manages to spot the mistake on the model!



I'm continuing with the simple paintjobs here as well. The AT-ST was sprayed overall with light grey and then I added a bit of white to the mix and sprayed some of the larger panels with the lighter version using my airbrush. Finally even more white was added to the mix and a few small panels or raised details were painted with that by brush. Then chipping with an offwhite and dark grey followed by a few different enamel washes that were mostly wiped off. Fairly fast, but pretty effective! General Veers got paint slapped onto him everytime the bigger beast was waiting for something to dry and I mostly got both of them painted during a single day so a pretty efficient job!



The Imperials were a fun little project to do! All of the force was done in roughly 30-35 hours including all assembly and conversions so it was really nice to do something from start to finish so fast! Normally I have a tendency to go overboard with projects that are just a bit too large and take ages to get done, so finishing a whole army in under two weeks was a refreshing change and definitely a major motivation booster for painting!


All in all one 28mm foot figure and one fairly large 28mm vehicle giving me 25 points more to add to my tally.

It isn't Monday unless there's Star Wars! That walker has a lovely paint job. Congratulations on finishing your whole force, white is a challenging colour. Try winning the Ewoks' hearts and minds, things might go smoother...

Barks

20 comments:

  1. Lovely work. I've often perused these in our local hobby shop and have so far resisted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! To be honest the models are a bit overcosted in my opinion. Especially the Wave 1 stuff is a bit soft in detail, but still costs as much as GW kits :D

      Delete
  2. Nice work Samuli, and great force pic at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work and well done on finishing your force in record time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! I was a bit surprised how fast these came out as well! Thank god for all the white armor! :D

      Delete
  4. Very nice job and enjoy the satisfaction of a “completed” force..... until you’ve played a few games and decide to reinforce it at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm already planning to buy a Scout Squad and I'll be buying the Death Troopers when they come out :D But hey it's finished for now!

      Delete
  5. Great work. I hate it when the instructions disagree with me on how to assemble kits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Yeah darn miniatures designers making minis that don't come together according to the correct logic!

      Delete
  6. This is awesome. Thanks also for the information on your method - it's really helpful to get insight into how the pros do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Assembly gaffs aside, this is completely awesome, Samuli! I like the clean lines and effective weathering you've done on this. I'm also delighted to see the Challenge doing its magic in getting projects finished (or at least a good bite taken out of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! Funny enough now that I'm part of the Squirrel side challenge it seems I'm able to focus on something and actually efficiently finish a project in short time... :D

      Delete
  8. Bloody brilliant Samuli! It‘s always a joy to see stuff painted by you, but Star Wars definitely is a double plus. That AT-ST looks top notch.

    ReplyDelete