Tuesday 26 February 2019

From SanderS - Guess what? More HQ... (50 points)

Hoi,

Honestly I am truly sorry you guys, but I want to get as many Heroquest figures done this Challenge for the schoolclub and because they're cluttering the unpainted pile.

So today I bring you the figures out the "Frozen Horror" expansion set. Oh and Merida, the girl from the movie "Brave".


Let's start with the Frozen Horror miniatures, this campaign is also called "The Barbarian Quest" mostly since it includes a figure of a female barbarian. The set also includes mercenaries but I have painted them earlier in the Challenge already. Before I show you the figures I do have to say that most of the poses of these monsters are ugly, hunched over and therefore really chunky. The set consists of:

2 Yeti's



2 Polar Warbears



3 Ice Gremlins, these are my favourites from the monsters in the set. They are mostly depicted as green (a sort of Polar Gobbo's) but I liked them better in the same blue used for most of the other figures. This kinda ties them in together I suppose.




The Frozen Horror itself, I suppose it's a different version of the familiar Gargoyle level boss.



Last but not least is the Female Barbarian. Now if you google her, you'll probably find a lot of versions painted using lots of flesh coloured paints. Since this is supposed to be a quest in the Frozen Wastes, I really think scarcely clad Barbarians is not what we need and what's logical.



I did some more shots of the inevitable fight between the Lady and the Horror.




Now then why did I add Merida? Well there were 9 figures in the lot above and that's an ugly number so I needed a 10th figure and Merida was just there on the table waiting for me. I've seen the movie on TV for the first time a few years back and I liked it immediately. It had humour, a well thought out story, magic and a strong female main character that's smart, can shoot a bow and arrow and goes to hell and back to save the ones she loves (and no it's not Katniss Everdeen!) . With all the music videos and commercials showing scantily clad females around I am convinced girls (and boys who need to respect women) are in need of role models like Merida. So I jumped at buying this figure when it became available. But what's strange is that she's a Hasslefree figure, strange because well we all know for what kinda figures they're mostly known. Perhaps the Female Barbarian and Merida warrant a mention for Sarah's Choice?



Anyway 10 x 28mm figures equals 50 points, some Necromunda is up later on today.




Lovely work Sander, your colour scheme works really well with these figures. I especially like the two female figures, you've done an excellent job with these. As someone who grew up with D&D I know what you mean about the stereotyped portrail of women in fantasy games. The scantily clad barbarian and the infamous chainmail bikini being prime examples! Fifty points well earned sir.
Lee

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lol, they really are my least favourites in the bunch, but each their own right?!

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy the Challenge for the wonderful Fantasy figures people paint that I miss in my little historical bubble. Super

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try some one day, it's addictive!

      Delete
  3. That is a great colour scheme

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just saw one of those Polar Warbears walking his kid to school this morning...

    Excellent work Sander!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on Curt, that was not a kid, it was one of the gremlins!

      Delete
  5. Lovely frozen horrors Sander. I hope I don’t meet any of those on my trudge to and from my Uni office this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never even heard of this expansion, nice looking figures though. Well done getting them painted, the consistent colours between the bad guys works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's 6 or 7 official expansions, not all that good.

      Delete
  7. That shade of blue certainly looks like a “cold” blue and I get the shivers just looking at these figures .... Which makes me really glad that the female barbarian is appropriately clothed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Dont ever recall seeing this set. Fantastic job. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on these frozen types! I really like Merida too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Iain, now I just have to find her a gaming role...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely stuff, particularly Merida!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your work on this pieces. Ia am working in may own version of Frozen Horror. Can I use your post to show the differences in my own blog (with credits, of course).

    ReplyDelete