Wednesday 20 March 2019

From EricM: British Cavalry and Cold Wars (280 points)

This challenge has flown by.  I think it may be a factor of age but it really seems like the last three months have been a blur.   The last units I was able to complete were British cavalry,  I painted a unit of 12 British light dragoons.  I made the mistake of ordering light dragoons in tarletons. Not exactly right but I do like the look.



 This unit is made up of Front Rank figures.  I really like the dynamic poses.
Due to time constraints I was forced to use the great flags from warflags.com again.  Great flags but I feel a little guilty not painting them

 The last full unit was a group of Kings German Legion Dragoons.  Again from Front Ranks beautiful line of Napoleonics
I really like the bicornes they are wearing. Although the later helmets are even nice, in my opnion.  I guess its just a reason to paint more.

Lastly I finished off 2 officers for the French and British. Sadly, again, I didnt plan as well as I could have.  The British officers, while very nice figures from Front Rank, werent really approprate for the level of game we played.
 The Arthur and his scouting officer are great figures just not the ones I would choose in hindsight.
I feel like the French officers I completed were a bit more approprate.
I am most excited to be able to offer a few actions shots of that rarest of birds.  Wargame figures in action. 
My good friend Eric Gray and I were able to run a game of Black Powder for a group of friends at Cold wars.
The game got a bit out of hand.  We had planned a Sharp Action style game but Eric and I got a bit our of control and had to move up to Black Powder.



The terrain was supplied by Eric Gray which in his words " I rattlecaned up"  Which means he painted them with spray cans in a few hours. Yeah I hate him too.

Here is a close up of one of the quickly painted "rattlecan" buildings.
We had a great game that was finished in about 2 1/2 hours with a strong British victory.  The French CNC said they came on the same old way and were seen off in the same old way.
The forces were about 50/50 mine and Erics.  Although I think I mine out weighed his Perry Plastic about 10 to 1.

Thanks again for a great painting challenge.  In the last week I was able to complete 28-28mm cavalry. I think this will put me a bit short of my goal of 1500 points, but, I will do better next year!

28x 28mm cav is a nice 280 points! They look stunning, and your subtly different horse colours really help. Don't feel guilty about the flags, they look great! Another post showing a big battle in progress, we are spoiled today!

Barks

9 comments:

  1. awesome batrep pictures mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of cavalry! And the game looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Front rank are some of the nicest 28 mm figures and are a joy to paint, lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cavalry and gosh that looks like a great game!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on the cavalry and officers, the game looks splendid too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on that cav! I love the old skool light dragoon uniform too, IIRC it took some time for all units to get the new kit so you're good for most of the Peninsular War. Great look game shots - I suggest that you resist the urge to kill your friend and harness his evil for your own purposes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking battle - lovely figures

    ReplyDelete