Wednesday 20 March 2019

From MilesR: Trees and a Hill & Cold Wars (120 points)

 For me, this Challenge is ending with a bit of a whimper rather than a bang.  One of my last entries is some generic tree terrain and a very simple hill.

Both tree stands are pine trees and will work well in a "Old West" setting - as evidenced by the figures on the path.  My apologies for the picture quality and setting but my hobby room is a wreck after getting back from Cold Wars.
 A corner pine tree section.  I had plans for more but just ran out of time.
A very generic hill.  Simple but effective.  The slopes are low enough so figures don't fall over.  It's max height is 3 inches.

Points wise the larger tree section is 14 inches long by 8 inches wind and 9 tall, so that's so that's 1,008 cubic inches or 4.67 terrain "cubes". The small one is a quarter circle with a six inch radius and 13 inches high.  The area of a circle is (radius squared times pi) so we get (6 inches squared times 3.142) which equals 113 square inches.  Divide that by four and that's 28.3 square inches.  Now take that time the height of 13 and one gets 367.9 cubic inches or 1.70 terrain cubes.  Now we can blah, blah, blah.....

Oh hell 4.67 + 1.7 equals 6.37 terrain cubes or 127.4 points.  Lets discount that by 30% and stick with 90 points.  The Hill's pretty simple and I'll just toss that in for 20 points - it takes up more space than that but it's a very simple terrain model.  Hey you guys still awake?  Lets just go with 110 points.

 This is the first time I ran a convention game during the challenge and I lost a few weeks of "challenge time" with game prep.  At least you can see all of my new terrain panels and tree sections set up for a game.
 The terrain worked really well and I got some very nice compliments.
The river sections looked great and I'm not ashamed to say I'm rather proud of them.

While Challenge production was a bit off, I did win two prizes at Cold Wars for best game so it was worth it.  My club did a brief report on Cold Wars which you can see here.  Warning - I'm in the video in all my glory.  Ok there may not be a lot of glory there....





by Guest Minion Paul

And here I thought that Trees generally whispered vice wimpered in the wind! 

These look great Miles, not only as an AHPC submission, but in bringing your demonstration game table to life. Congrats on your award winning game at Cold Wars! Take 5 extra points per award, for a total of 120 points

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on the awards Miles :)

    Nice work on the terrain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! you now are in need of a lumberjack camp though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The terrain looks great. Definitely worthy of awards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking terrain! Congratulations on winning your award!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your terrain is awesome and your award win looks well earned!

    ReplyDelete