Monday 13 January 2020

From StuartL: Challenge Island Safari Journal - 13th January (32 Points)

Welcome back loyal C.I.S.T.ers.

While we make preparations for the tour to ascend to the top of Snow Lord's Peak, we have a rare treat for you. Our guides have reported that some examples of Challenge Island's most majestic and wonderful wildlife are near our camp. Now, I'll have to remind you not to use flash photography to avoid startling these little critters, also, you should try to avoid making loud noises or looking in the least bit edible.

The island is home to numerous species of creatures which are unique to the island's environment. Some of them simply couldn't (or shouldn't) exist anywhere else. It is one of those unique species that we are going to see today.


Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the Challenge Island Brush-licker Toad. These friendly looking critters have evolved to live on a diet of dried paint, harvested directly from spent paint brushes left behind by challenge island painters. Officially categorised as Vallejois Citadelis Bufo, researchers believe that they are an evolutionary mutation based on the large number of chemicals released on Challenge Island from spilt paint-pots.


A single Brush-licker Toad is capable of shredding the tip of even a Windsor and Newton Series 7 in a matter of minutes. Given the large toad population of the island, synthetic brushes are imported on a regular basis to ensure that this noble and proud species can continue to thrive.


Sadly, due to the rise in usage of Airbrushes, these toads are facing hard times ahead. Many have taken to raiding painter's supply cabinets and devouring the dried paint direct from the inside of bottle caps. While dropper bottles such as the one pictured above can be problematic for the toads, Citadel pots are a rich source of dried paint as it tends to collect inside the rim of the pot lid. 
So if you have any old pots of paint or well used brushes, consider donating them to the Challenge Island Brush-licker Trust. 

---------

As I am currently starting from scratch on getting my mini ready for the Snow Lord's Peak, I am not able to enter anything for any other locations (yet). So I decided to paint up a random encounter of wandering monsters. These figures are all from Wizards of the Coast's range of pre-painted Dungeons and Dragons minis. I have no idea why I have 6 toads, I guess they were common in the random assortments of figures that came in the box.

To get these done, I gave them a simple paint/drybrush/wash combo and added some small details for the faces. I think I have done the eyes completely wrong, but I doubt any of my D&D group will notice or care when they wipe out these chubby little guys in the time it takes me to say "Roll for initiative.

Anyway, there are 6x 28mm figures at 5 points a piece, so that nets me 30 points. 
Now, back to the Peak!

***

Oh man, this was a funny read Stuart. Well done.  I have often considered airbrushes a threat to my sanity, but never to wildlife :) A very entertaining and fun-filled part of the Challenge Island expedition. 

Yes, 30 points as a base, but two points for the entertainment factor as well!

GregB

9 comments:

  1. Those toads look stoned - are you sure that's water-based acrylics they're eating? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Stuart. I’ll watch out for those toads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those toads are awesome and the accompanying story had me chuckle quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Stuart. A good laugh for a cold Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking adaptive toads!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant post! I just need one hanging around the painting desk for when I spill yet another GW wash pot....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great! I need a few to lick my brushes.

    ReplyDelete