Monday 13 January 2020

From EricM: Landing on Challenge Island with 28mm Late Romans (155 Points)

Land Ho! With this installment I make land fall on Sander's Sand Dunes and begin my quest toward the snow lords peak.   The price of admission to Sander's dunes is an entry featuring red in all its subtlety (you mean"glory", no?).   I chose to meet his challenge with a unit of 28mm Wargames Foundry.  These guys fought me tooth and nail to avoid being painted.  I think something went awry with the spray primer I used.  When I began applying paint it would slick off and pool so I was forced to go back and re-prime by hand.

Despite them fighting me like a toddler in a bath, the red went on. The unit I choose to represent is unit of limitanei from the eastern roman empire

The first two ranks are armed with spear and shield with a supporting rank of light bowmen, that I hope to use as either rear rank support or as skirmishers.

Sander I hope this is enough Red for you! 



Some close ups of the front rank and leader



The light bowmen, I really wish they didn't have shields!


This Late Roman entry may be my last for a bit.  I have been bitten by the sand fleas in Sander's dunes and contracted the "new and shiny" disease. More on that to come soon.

Thanks for looking. The tally: 24 x 28mm infantry. 


***
Oh, cool, ROMANS ROMANS ROMANS ROMANS! I love Roman soldiers in all scales and settings, so very cool. I've always been too intimidated to paint them myself, so I enjoy the work of others, and the Painting Challenge is great for that! It's sad that these might be the last Romans we see from you for a while - sand fleas are quite awful, and the desire to paint something "new and shiny" is an affliction that I cannot avoid myself...my basement overflows...

I laughed at your description of the models "fighting you tooth and nail". I think most of us can sympathize, all having at least one project in our hobby lives that resists progress at every turn. I generally encounter this with resin figures, not metal ones - I suppose the painting Gods (or sand fleas?) simply strike whenever they feel like it. 

And more hand-painted shields! Madness! Madness I say! But bloody cool. Between the basic points for the figures, the bonus points for the Challenge Island location, I will use my minion powers to toss in another five points for the shields. Great work Eric!

GregB

10 comments:

  1. Those Romans look great Eric :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is Eric, awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking romans Eric, really tempting me into ancients again. Lots of red and really nice work on the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love Foundry Late Romans; have painted one or two myself.

    Cracking unit, great reds and awesome shields.

    cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous looking Lat Romans! Those venerable Foundry castings are still my favourites for that period. I wish there was just a little more variety...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic looking late Romans! Lovely hand painted shields!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb looking late Romans! You did a terrific job to make the shields look crisp and uniform. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some very red Romans, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great figures, especially loved these as I have late Romans from Wargames Foundry. Think the Chi Rho symbol on the shields is great !

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete