Monday 13 January 2020

From EricM: A Chaotic Diversion--Games Workshop Slaves to Darkness (60 Points)

Its official, I have fallen to Chaos.  Games Workshop is the devil.  While it has been quite sometime since I have been interested in Games Workshop. I do really like the changes they have made in the last few years, improving their model range, bringing back some classic games.  I have been able to avoid falling into the eye candy trap they set for me and just observe from the shadows... until now.  A month or so ago they released their new Slaves to Darkness line, it's game over now.

I picked up the start collecting box which has a Chaos Lord, 10 Chaos Warriors and 5 mounted Chaos Knights.  They have made some huge improvements to their design and production processes, which has allowed them to make some incredibly dynamic and interesting poses.  All this while making a snap fit kit, this whole kit can be (in theory) assembled without glue.  For me it required some glue and a lot of cursing and gnashing of teeth. While it took a bit of patience the kit went together pretty smoothly, its a bit of an engineering marvel in my opinion.

The first figures I attempted were the Chaos Warriors.


These guys were a blast to paint.  I had to learn how to do the extreme edge highlighting, which as you can see is still a work in progress.  I think I need to go one level brighter on the edge. Here are some close ups




I think its a little bit sadistic to make models with huge spikes and advertise it as push fit.

These guys are supposed to be heroic 28mm (I think) but they are massive compared to the older Chaos range.

Next up was the Chaos Lord.   He was a tougher assembly but man he is a cool figure.


This guy was a challenge to paint.  The way he is constructed makes it hard to paint in sub-assembly and the amount of detail on him is daunting. He was like trying to paint a baseball that weighed as much as a feather. But I am really happy with him.


Here is the full class picture.


Chaos Knights and my Challenge Island award figure are up next.

Here is the tally: 10 x 28mm foot, 1 x 28mm mounted.

***

Hello again Eric - while Chaos is not my "thing", I can certainly relate to the feeling of caving in on many, many other GW products and lines (*cough* Horus Heresy *cough*).  I think its great that you have found some figures that you clearly love and are having so much fun painting (challenges about spiky-push-models aside).  Your energy really shines through, and you should be pleased with the results - these fellows look more than ready to go torch villages throughout the Empire fight hard for their Chaos Gods in whatever version of GW's setting that is current. 

I did laugh at your mention of allegedly not requiring glue - the push-together model that works for gaming is an urban legend, and I have yet to encounter such a model that doesn't actually require glue in order to hold together and be used on the gaming table.

We look forward to your next submissions...and judging by the "New Posts" screen, it looks as though we won't be waiting long...

GregB

11 comments:

  1. Well done with these Eric, I like the red highlighting on the black. I chuckled over the spikes on push fit figures, they’re from chaos of course they cause pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Chaos Lord is fantastic. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Chaos Warriors, Eric! That mounted commander is an absolute monster. Like you, I really like many of the changes GW has undertaken (Age of Stinkmar aside). These brutes bring back great memories of campaigns fought in the Old World. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great detail, especially the highlighting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GW's turnaround has hit many a gamer's pocket - as their share price rise has shown! Cracking job on these, a very fine display of edge highlighting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look excellent! Just one idea for your edge highlights though. I‘d use a more blueish grey, similar to the way GW paint theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking chaos types! Really nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chaos warriors look amazing.

    ReplyDelete