Monday 13 January 2020

From Curt: French Aide-de-Camp having a Peek - For 'Piper's Peak' (60 Points)


Hi Everybody!

Today I disembark from Sarah's Balloon onto Piper's Peak. I'm really enjoying using the balloon service as it allows me to work on my usual scatter-shot of projects ('focus is for the weak') and just zip to the location of whatever one I'm closest to finishing. This being said, at this rate I'm going to have enough SarahMiles to journey back to the mainland when this is all over!

Anyway, it's a very nice view from here. Much less congested than some other locations on the island. I hear Sander's Sand Dunes is a bit of a nightmare, what with all the t-shirt stands, red light district and the dodgy 'Island Tour' excursions. ;)


Okay, on to business. Piper's Peak asks us to submit and entry that is:
i) associated with mountains; or 
ii) taking a look (a peek); or 
iii) displaying anger ('a fit of pique')
I decided to go with the second option with a small vignette depicting a group of Napoleonic French aides observing (taking a 'peek' at) their distant opponents



I had done a similar one to this several years ago which I gave away as a gift, but as luck would have it the Perry's double shipped my original order so here I am with a redux version.


While cleanup seems to be a perennial issue with Perry metals I'm still a big fan of these figures. Like so many of their offerings they have such evocative, natural poses that really lend themselves to telling stories. I especially like the fellow with his spyglass braced over his saddle, taking a good long look at the enemy lines. You may not see it in the photos, but he has his boots crossed at the ankles conveying a nice, relaxed pose. Terrific stuff. 

A few people have asked about the bases. Greg and I base our Napoleonic collections on metal sheeting. The corners can be wicked sharp, but it gives a nice, thin profile on the tabletop and allows us to use magnetic sheathed carriers for transport.

This vignette will join the other two sets that I had done up a while back.

A group shot of all the REMFs to-date.
I like using these to help add more colour to the tabletop. I like to place them at the trail of artillery batteries to try convey the formation's greater depth (Yes, I should have limbers to do this, but that way madness lies). Now I just need to do a few more of these for the Brits and Austrians...


As to points. Well, let's see. We have two cavalry figures and two fellows on foot, so that's 30 points plus another 30 for Tamsin's location. My mad skills on the abacus puts that at 60 points, give or take a bead.

Next up is, you guessed it, another balloon trip! Weee!!

-Curt

***

Brilliant work Dude, it is always a treat to see your paint brushes churning out more 28mm Napoleonic goodness. These sorts of command vignettes always add a lot of character to any gaming table, and can also find their way to all manner of uses in specific scenarios. 

And yes, while it is infuriating to feel like you must carve your metal Perry figures out of a pile of flash, the results are always worth it in the end, as the sculpting is marvelous.  Besides, I would rather shave/cut/fix up 100 metal figures than fumble through a single multi-part 28mm plastic historical figure!

That is indeed another 60 points for the Snow Lord! I can see him checking his phone now, waiting for an indication from Balloon Uber as to when his ride will arrive... 

GregB

27 comments:

  1. Sniffing work ol chap! I think Tamsin will be suitably impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic vignette to meet the challenge at my island location - spiffing work Curt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a bit of rustling to come up with an entry for your location so I'm delighted you like it, Tamsin.

      Delete
  3. Great work Curt, but I think what I appreciate most is someone taking the time to position the figures correctly on the base. To make the miniature interactions look real, takes a great paint job and makes it that much better...superb.

    Is Sarah still running just the one balloon or is it now a fleet due to demand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think her fleet is 'ballooning' as we speak! :0P

      Thanks for the thumbs up. Like any kid, I love setting up my toy soldiers to tell a story. Glad you like it.

      Delete
    2. To quote Lady Sarah’s kindred spirit Mary Poppins “We’re on the brink of adventure, children .... don’t spoil it with questions” :)

      Delete
  4. I do like vignettes like this - I've only ever managed it in 15mm troops for Flames of War, so really nice to see the extra details you've positively stuffed onto this 28mm one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie. I think of all the hobby I really enjoy putting vignettes together the most.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Curt, good to see you back at a proper scale instead of this 2mm stuff. I always enjoy putting together this sort of vignettes and th7s always enjoy others take in the same,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Pete. Now, just to tweak your nose, I'll be putting together a 2mm submission soon. :)

      Delete
  6. Amazing work Curt! Those additional bases really help to bulk up the batteries nicely! Considering how deep an artillery battery was in reality with all the equipment and ammunition teams behind the guns it's nice to have them deeper on the gaming table as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli! I agree, the formations for these batteries was amazingly deep, so anything to help reflect that is a bonus.

      Delete
  7. Fabulous stuff Curt! Actually superb advertising for both Perry and Napoleonics. With gritted teeth I've actually to admit that the Perrys actually have quite an eye for natural poses with their figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I know you're no big fan of Perry stuff, but if you can get past the cleanup and preparation they really have a bewildering amount of excellent models.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking figures, you've done a superb job with the vignette.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Curt! I really love your napoleonic collection, they always make me jealous of all the hard work that goes into them, especially since I have such a mental block about being able to paint napoleonics! Well, that, and yours look way better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Byron, though I know your skills at the brush are more than equal to the task. This reminds me: you need to get another unit done for your collection. :)

      Delete
  10. Fantastic work Curt! Great advertisement for Naps. I agree the Perry's probably have the best posing around with superb sculpts, but the clean up and painting lines can drive you crazy!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. Yes, they can be a bit of a chore at times, but I still think the final outcome is worth it.

      Delete