Monday 13 January 2020

From AlexK: Childhood nostalgia for MIllsy's Millpond (35 Points)

For this post I find myself in unfamiliar waters, some childhood nostalgia trip from my first real memories of miniature painting, it is Sci-fi/Fantasy week!

I am now a fully fledged historical painter and wargamer, but this wasn't always the case. 25 years ago, as a fresh-faced 11-year-old I was given a copy of "White Dwarf" by my Dad. It wasn't a new copy, it was a really early copy of the magazine (think Rogue Trader 40'000 era) and one of my Dad's wargaming friends had given it to him as a way to get my brother and I into wargames. It worked. What I really remember from the magazine was the 'Eavy Metal section at the back, just before the postal order form (Does everyone remember when you had to fill in a piece of paper and a check and post it off, wait upwards of 2 weeks and get your figures in return?). They must have released some Eldar Harlequins and some of the clan-specific orks around that time as they had the Harlequins and some Bad Moon orks painted, in what looking back now, seems some of the brightest paint jobs I have ever seen. Bright yellow, checks, flames, Ziggy Stardust style make-up, these figures had the lot! 

Over the years I have occasionally picked up miniatures that I'd stared longingly at as a child, a harlequin here, an Ork in power armour there, a genestealer hybrid. My entry for this post is one such figure, an early 90's Eldar Warlock from Games Workshop. When I originally planned on painting the figure I thought about going down the garish paint scheme, but 25 years of historicals has curbed that urge more than I'd initially thought, so we have ended up with a dark blue and brown scheme instead, the brass is a bit jazzy at least. I've got to say it was nice not to be limited by a uniform for once and over all I'm pretty happy with it.







Now this should see me safely through Millsy's Millpond as its a 1990's figure and as I have no real use for the figure I'd like to use this as my prize figure for the island challenge. What I have noticed after its completion, is that I've made it some what of an awkward gift. If I remember correctly the Eldar were in some form of clan or world, with their own distinct colouring, so trying to match this to someones army maybe difficult. As an added bonus I've re-based it on a 40mm MDF base as I'm not too keen on "slotta" bases and as a final flourish I've based it on a snow scene, to the recipient......You're Welcome.



Points wise I think I'm on for 35 points, 5 for the figure and 30 for Millsy's Millpond.

***

Oh wow, Alex, this looks amazing! I remember painting this EXACT figure myself when I was much younger (was that so long ago?).  I think the more muted colours are beautiful and merge perfectly with the cold, withdrawn and arrogant state of the Eldar.  The MDF base is a nice touch - chances are the next new 30k/40k force I paint will use MDF bases as well. I'm almost tempted to paint up a squad of Eldar Guardians just to try and match this guy for the hell of it! 

Yes, that is 35 points for this visit to the Millpond - great stuff!

GregB

14 comments:

  1. I, too, have always liked the eldar warlocks and farseers, and I reckon you've done a good job here, including a good choice of colours, even if it doesn't fit any Craftworld.
    However, I think you're 25 points light - if I understand it right, there should be another 25 points for your Curtgeld.
    Greg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel - and apologies Alex - Curt got this sorted, but if not he can give you my email address and you can yell at me directly :)

      Delete
    2. No worries Greg, it hadn't crossed my mind either :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a lovely bit of brushwork and a great trip down memory lane. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice paint job on a figure that I remember well! At one point I had a large eldar force and I am sure I had at least 3 or 4 of these in my ulthwe force. I really like your version in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classic Jes Goodwin sculpt, smashing job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Eldar! When I first started into 40k many a moon ago I couldn't stand those haughty and stiff pricks. Nowadays I actually quite like them, especially when painted as nicely as your seer here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on a great figure!!

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely paint job on a classic figure!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly prefer your colour choices to the official GW colour schemes. This model looks superb.

    ReplyDelete