Monday 13 January 2020

From ByronM: Steaming through Douglas' Shallows (47 points)

Well, it took a while but I finally found a way to get across the Douglas Shallows, a shallow-hulled Dwarf steamship!  For something nautical to match the requirements of the map space I once again dug into my copy of Dreadfleet that has been sitting waiting to be painted for way too many years.


The ship itself is very stereo-typically dwarf, it is stout, heavy, and likely a bit slow.


To make up for a bit of the ship's slowness it employs scouting air ships so that it can spot and target enemies at range.  The game provides a deployed air ship, and you can see there is a second in the actual paddle wheel ship.


These were once again painted in a very plain and dwarfy style, meaning lots of metal!  There are some wood features picked out just to add some warmed colours to the model along the rails, but it is mainly multiple silvers and golds, then just washed and re-highlighted.


For points this is similar sized to the Dwarf submarine, so I would assume similar points (15), but there is really no set scale for me to reference this against for a set point score, so whatever is good.  In addition it is for my next map space, so a bonus 30 points there, for a total of 45.

I may be back again later to my copy of Dreadfleet, as the ships look so much better painted, and the others are getting jealous in the box.

***

Well done Byron - as a Dwarf ship, I assume it has other Dwarf characteristics as well - lots of guns, lots of metal, and never shows up or actually contributes anything useful to its side in the game? 

The results are excellent as usual Byron - and the water effects on the base finish it off perfectly. Are the bases already textured, or is that something you did on your own?  Certainly the overall effect is fantastic, a fitting means to travel Douglas' Shallows. For points, I will toss in a couple of extra for the little flying contraption.

Your notion of unpainted figures becoming jealous is a bit terrifying, I expect, for many of us...for my part, I am now imagining half a legion of angry unpainted Space Marines in my basement getting tired of my recent "historical" painting and becoming angry...if they teamed up with my wife, that would be it for me...

GregB

8 comments:

  1. Great work on this dwarf ship Byron, it fits into the shallows nicely. Love the metalwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very cool ship, but the cute steam-dirigible-thingy steals the show for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking dwarf monitor type ship, lovely metallic and water finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice, totally fits the theme

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great looking naval mini.

    ReplyDelete