Friday 17 January 2020

From TomG - "Whistling Dixie" - 31pts

Here begins my foray in to the American Civil War (ACW), on the heels of my local gamers, we've been picking up some games of Sharp Practice, and it was precisely that which gave me the final impetus to join the challenge, under the careful shoving of fellow Challengee DaveS. For Christmas I had ordered myself a selection of minis from the Perry and Wargames Foundry ranges, which I believe are both sculpted by the Perry twins anyway, as they just looked the part to me. 

So here is my gallery of Confederate Officers, I hope you enjoy. 




I wanted these two to stand out as they will be my level 1 leader option for Sharp Practice, and the models lend themselves to a narrative of disdain with the infantry officer (front, denoted by red sash) is being shouted at by the general staff officer (back, with buff colour dash) behind. 

I've always been fascinated by the political officers, and their influences on the war effort for both sides, so I jumped at the opportunity to include my little part of that. 

Below is what will become my cavalry officer, but for now will be leading my second infantry group. This model was a real joy to play with as his moustache reminded me of Lemmy from Motorhead. 




Sorry for the lack of written content this time, I just wanted to share some minis I'm super proud of. They were great fun to paint and were painted with a mix of Vallejo, Foundry, Scale 75 and Citadel products. 

Points: 3x 28mm mounted = 30pts.


Excellent painting Tom, and a Motorhead reference as well - that's got to be worth a bonus point, even if it does take you away from a nice, neat 30.

TamsinP

24 comments:

  1. Well done Tom - and the photo effect is quite neat as well.
    Nice that you we were shoved "carefully" - safety first and all that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg, I had great fun taking these photos and tweaking them. The shoving did take a year or two, so it was indeed gentle.

      Delete
  2. Nice painting, Tom. I especially like the arrangement of the first two officers, who do look as if they're "interacting".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Noel, thank you, they nearly had an additional model on foot, but he just made it look cramped.

      Delete
  3. Lovely selection of rebel officers! I can see why you were happy with them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous submission, great colours and interaction on the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work here, I love how clean and bright the yellows are! Such a hard colour to work with, and you make it look so good here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Byron, I think my trick here was using vallejo model colour gold brown to base all of the yellow, and then just went straight to a brighter yellow with thin coats.

      Delete
  6. That's fine painting. And nice spaghetti on those sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It certainly does look like spaghetti... Would that make these part of a spaghetti Eastern (theatre) then tehe.

      Delete
  7. Lovely painting and colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really well done. That lacing on the sleeves isn't easy to do so congrats on a superb job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was pretty much the last part that I painted on them as it was pretty daunting, but I'm glad it paid off. Thank you again.

      Delete
  9. Lovely work Tom. Very clean work and you did a marvelous job on picking out their 'chicken guts' braiding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much obliged Curt! The braiding certainly felt like an achievement all on its own.

      Delete
  10. Really nice brushwork on these figures Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you, I was lucky that they were great sculpts to start with.

      Delete