Friday 17 January 2020

From ByronM - O'Gradys Gulch - Kingdom Death Archer (37 points)

As I continue my ill-planned adventure around the island, I find myself at O'Grady's Gulch where the requirement is to paint up a figure for someone other than yourself.  Hmmmm.....

I have been playing Kingdom Death pretty regularly (every other Tuesday) with some friends for about 2 years, and last year I painted up the Gimp (a model in Gorm armour for my friend Mike), so I figured this year I would paint up one for my friend Steve.

While, I spend a lot of time on the monsters for Kingdom Death, since they are used over and over again, I tend to spend less time on the characters, so this is nothing too fancy.  This is for the simple reason that they die like crazy....  You do not play a specific character, you play as a community, since you never get a chance to get attached to any specific person.  The last campaign we did was 30 games long and we have over 25 characters die during those games!


Regardless, there are archetypes and those characters get used a bit more.  Steve tends to play ranged support characters in our games, and I never really had one done up before.  So, this character is so that Steve actually has an archer model to play, even though it may not remain his current character for long.


This model is a survivor in armour made from the phoenix armour set.  Normally the phoenix is a bright and colourful creature in the game (one of the few) but when I painted it for the challenge a few years back, I did it more like a vulture , so it was all dark browns and greys.  Hence her very dark coloured armour to match the materials she would have made it from after killing the phoenix.

The bow looked a little bare, so I added a string to it, which I think works well here since KD models are bigger than most figures out there, being pretty much 40 to 45mm tall.


Well, there you go, my 7th space on the challenge map!  Not bad for a man with no plan, eh?

With that, I think I am going to scale the Snow Lord's Peak next to get it done with now that the FAQ has been released and I know that I can continue to explore the island afterwards.... so onward and upward!


Nice painting Byron, and a great gift for Steve. Good luck with your ascent!

TamsinP

13 comments:

  1. Really nice painting - I especially like the fact you've strung the bow - makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - stringing the bow - wow, nice extra step.

      Delete
    2. Yep, totally makes the figure.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, it just looked too plain without. It is just 2 holes, some ship rigging, and CA glue. Nothing fancy. Took maybe 5 minutes, but I do agree it added a lot to the figures overall look. Not sure I would do it for units, but for a single fig, it was certainly worth the tiny bit of effort.

      Delete
  2. Lovely archer, I really like the understated colours!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, they are a little more vibrant in real live, for some reason the picture takes a lot away.... despite using the same method as my other images.

      Delete
  3. Your Kingdom Death stuff is always top notch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Byron - really smooth results, I expect you were attacking this figure with the airbrush once again, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent figure, I’m amazed that you strung the bow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While you may not have put as much effort into the figure as you‘d do with their monstrous counterparts the end result is still stunning!

    ReplyDelete