Friday 17 January 2020

From Pete F: Hawkins Hill - Last of the Napoleonic Russians (56 points)



As a teenager I wargamed quite often. I had Napoleonic and WW2 Airfix soldiers and a few Napoleonic Minifigs. I did a little hex and counter gaming at college. That was it. The painting and playing with little soldiers viruses lay dormant until early in 2016 when the uniforms on the War & Peace remake made me think "I've got to paint me some Russians".





After a bit of Googling, the Russians and brushes and paints came from Warlord Games. It was the "Build an Army" deal: 2 battalions of 36 men, command, one gun and the "Ivanna go home"  pack of casualties. The battalions were painted fairly swiftly but the rest of the army was set aside for other, shinier, projects. I found Analogue Hobbies too late to get into Challenge VII (it was already full), but I participated in VIII (when the gun got painted, along with one of the casualties as tribute to the prolific KentG whom I unwisely dueled for Black Powder supremacy).



By the start of Challenge X, all that was left of the Russians was this handful of casualties and one commander on foot.  Hawkins Hill provides a perfect reason to finish the job started in 2016. The casualties are magnetized so that they can either go on metal stands to physically mark fatigue as suggested in the Black Powder rules or can fit on these casualty dials from Warbases. The dials go up to 12 (not just 11) - they're useful for various different game systems. By using magnets I can switch the casualties in and out depending on what game I'm playing.





I like the Russian general's big hat and plumage. He was fun to paint even in just a plain great coat. He must be cold so I experimented with a little snow on his base.



Since those first Russians arrived I have been all over the place. From the Revolutionary War woods of the Carolinas to the muddy fields of WW2 Europe; from power suited aliens to magic wielding lizard people; from axe thudding into shield wall to scimitar on chain mail. There aren't really any miniature soldiers I don't like to paint - which is why there's a bit of a back log and a book shelf bulging with Ospreys. Thank you Hawkins Hill for helping to reduce it.



5 x 28mm foot plus 30 points for a new location adds up to 55 points. This completes the Path of the Forgotten and gives me access to the Snow Lord's Peak. Time to find some crampons.




Great work on the officer and casualties. It must feel good to finally complete that starter set. I'm going to award you a bonus point for sneaking in a Spinal Tap reference!

TamsinP

10 comments:

  1. That officer looks great, and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work and it's great that you're using vignette style casualty markers. They can make or break the look of a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking Rusians, that officer is aces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Pete - as I'm currently in the midst of banging out a number of winter-themed figures myself, I also really love the officer, but casualty figures in general are great - and I so seldom get around to painting them. Nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for casualty markers, and nicely painted indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice casualty markers and you know even better that you can turn it up to 12!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the extra point Tamsin. It puts it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking casualty markers and I really like that cold officer figure.

    See you up on the summit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha, another finished collection. Seems HH is providing quite the incentive to idle Challengers. And very nice painting, bravo!

    ReplyDelete