Friday 17 January 2020

From MikeW: 5 x 1/144 (10mm) Israeli Super Sherman Tanks (15 Points)

A cheeky group of Israeli Super Shermans.
Extracted from my Lead Mountain were these 5 Sherman M4A4 tanks that where the basis for the Israeli M50/51 Super Shermans that paid an important role in both the 1967 and 1973 Wars.



Undercoated and awaiting attention!

I think these models were from Minifgs - though I may well be wrong!

So very quick job to build and to undercoat in white before leaving to dry overnight.

I've always had problems getting the correct shade for my Israeli vehicles - it seems to range from too brown to too green, too light to too dark. These were no exception!

I guess it would be easiest to go and buy a pot of paint that is the right colour - but as I do these figures in such a sporadic manner - I have never done that. So this time I painted a base colour of mid brown and then mixed a greenish, greyish colour to use to wash over.

Not overly happy with final colours
Unfortunately the paint dried very quickly and the wash became pretty much another coat - it seems about right when I added the white combat markings.

I usually get all OCD about having straight lines when doing vehicle markings - until I found out that the Israelis actually painted these markings on by hand and literally scrubbed them off and repainted on a fairly regular basis to keep everyone guessing what they meant. Clever!

So I use a white pen to literally draw on the markings and then I outline with an ultra-fine black pen, before varnishing the markings to keep them in place.

Lots of stowage on each tank
I then gave the models a wash of Dark tone - which was a bit of a mistake, as they got - well - very much darker!

I had to go in and do some dry brushing to lighten the models up again, end result is passable but probably not very Israeli looking - too grey and dark.

When mixed with other Shermans in my collection - they will stand out. Maybe I'll say that they are brand new off the production line and haven't had time to fade yet....

POINTS
5 x 10mm Vehicles @ 3 Points each = 15 Points


Nice little tanks Mike!

TamsinP

7 comments:

  1. Nice looking super Shermans. Love the hand lettering and I had to check what scale these were, I originally figured 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite ever MBTs!!! Great stuff Mike.
    I don't think you are alone in trying to find just the right colour for your IDF armour and vehicles...that "Sinai Grey" is kind of a painting mystery, and seems to look different in any light. Good that you kept at it, they look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking super Sherman's!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work on those Shermans and blow me if I knew they were still being used in the 1970's!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent looking Supers. As Greg says, the exact shade of 'Sinai Grey' is still a bit of a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oof, this is why I dislike vehicles... nicely done!

    ReplyDelete