Wednesday 30 December 2020

From MartinC Dunsterforce and some Ottomans to fight (187.5pts)

 Evening all

So I am now in Tier 4 and the hospitals are full. All is about to get very messy, again. Luckily my hobby keeps me inside. I was listening to the Wargames Soldiers and Strategy end of year podcast today, one of the few I occasionally listen to as it hosted by Angus, a friend, member of my club and along with the rest of the crew a participant in this illustrious event. I was unexpectedly mentioned in dispatches, which was nice, and specifically about the current project.

So Angus yes I will play WW1 with you, eventually. To keep you on your toes I've finished the Dunsterforce. 

This is the last unit (although I may increase it's size). These are are 1/2 section of 9th Hussars with dismounted figures as well. Actually they are Perry WW2 British Yeomanry but you can't tell the difference really.
I will at sometime show the lot but it has 5 infantry sections, 1/2 cavalry section, 2 HMGs, and already painted 2 field guns, 2 armoured cars and a plane. If it does grow it won't be by much. Normally we play Bolt action and 20 units per side takes all day to play. These will have cossack and Armenian support. That being said I've already ordered some Anzac types to go full WW1.

So they need somebody to fight, and in this case it's Turks and the Army of Islam. Although there were Bolsheviks vs Cossacks vs Turks and Azerbaijanis vs Germans and Georgians vs Brits and Armenians vs Jangalis. Everybody's dance card was full - the Germans even fought the Turks.

These figures are Gripping Beast, from Woodbine Designs, and I picked them up in their sale pre Christmas. They are lovely and nice to paint

However they are very fragile - about 6 have already lost their bayonets and muzzles and 2 broke on the stand as I have clearing them up. I have loads of these to paint

Scores on the Doors
6 cavalry = 60
25 infantry + 1 prone = 127.5
Grand total = 187.5 pts

Stay safe and as a final request can everybody slow down, I can't keep up with commenting


21 comments:

  1. Excellent work Martin! I love those Ottomans, but it's too bad that they are so fragile. Looking forward to more. Oh, and I rounded up your points for the prone figure. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, yes it is annoying as the sculpts are fab

      Delete
  2. Splendid work on Dunsterforce and lovely, if fragile,Turks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew nothing about Dunsterforce until a week ago - the Challenge is certainly an educational experience! Lovely work, Martin, pity about the bayonets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, they are cool and Anzacs were significant

      Delete
  4. Nicely done Martin, just over a week in and you are already nearly halfway to your target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, start big and see how it goes, should hit 2500

      Delete
  5. Excellent stuff Martin. Stay safe, sounds like your environment is as full of dangers as Iran in WW1. Any Indian troops on the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. possibly some Indians, Ghurkas and Anzacs later

      Delete
  6. More amazing figures for Dunsterforce. I'm looking forward to seeing more of their opponents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, Martin! The Great War in the Middle east is one of those really interesting theatres of the conflict, with lots of interesting actions, and strategic challenges. Great work on the figures, too, Sir! I had the same experience with the Woodbine figures - they were very nice sculpts to paint, but the accurate scaling of the rifles and bayonets did make them very fragile, sadly. Super paint-job, all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are right about the opportunities to game. Looking forward to gaming with them

      Delete
  8. Top job Martin, one of my favourite periods 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do look good! I second you on everyone else’s pace...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fitting conclusion to your Dunsterforce (just for now, I bet...). They look very good, as do the Turks. And you're right, I'm spending more time commenting than painting!

    ReplyDelete