Monday 15 March 2021

from SidneyR: Oldhammer Chaos Knights from "The Knights' Solar" (30 points)

 


And so the final week of Challenge XI begins... A time of frantic painting, brush-wielding and  a collective finishing-up of the grand plans which we all made, way back in mid-December.  Am I the only Challenger to have fallen "a bit behind schedule" with the painting tasks and Chamber-completion?  

I doubt it, fellow Challengers.  I doubt it... but fear not - your secret is safe with me, dear friends.


So after "The Guardroom", I've passed through "The Orcs Nest" (which I painted some orcs and a demon back in February) and I've arrived, finally, at Level 3 and "The Knights' Solar".  A place for knights and their knightly quests...

I prepared these two Oldhammer Chaos Knights in December.  I felt it was very much time to finally get these guys painted.  I can't remember when I bought them.  Perhaps at some point in the early 2000s, or maybe even earlier than that.  They're lovely figures, but quite chunky and from the heyday of Citadel Miniature's "Realm of Chaos" figure sculpting style.  One of them seems to be wearing some chaos-inspired samurai armour, with - horror of horrors - a broken and blunted katana.  I thought he, or indeed perhaps she, would look good in Khorne red (though, sadly, no skulls, Barks).


The other Chaos Knight looked much more Elric-esque to me, with a splendid dragon crest on his helmet.  I decked him out in Slaanseh purple and a deeply insane shade of yellow - good contrasts, I thought, to his Khorne-worshipping samurai friend.  

One of the things I like about fantasy figures is that you can get away with the figures being slightly differently sized.  I very much doubt anyone will be saying to me - "Come on Sidney, your broken-katana wielding demonic samurai looks a bit over-scale to me.  And look at that unhistorical lamellar armour..."


After weeks of late-seventeenth century painting fun, it's been a real pleasure to paint something different.  And so, on to the points:  Two 28mm figures, at 5 points each (10 points total), plus 20 points for "The Knights'Solar" making a total of 30 points.


....and finally, the Altar of the Snow-Lord is just about in sight.  Will I make it there in time...?


******* 



14 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I love seeing these old Realms of Chaos figures, especially when they are painted so well. Lovely work Sidney. I have a soft spot for Elric of Melnibone, so your submission tickles a bit of nostalgia. I'll happily join your ranks of those who planned a project (or two, or three) too far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks indeed, Curt!! It always amazes me what we all have in the bottom of those boxes at the feet of our respective lead mountains!! I'd totally forgotten about these chaps. It was good to paint them, at last!

      Delete
  2. Fine work as ever Sidney, and wow, these are real classics!

    As for the final-week-sentiment...well, rather than wrapping up a project, I find myself starting others instead! I hope I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg!! I love to hear about Challengers starting NEW projects in the last week. Awesome work, Sir!

      Delete
  3. Great work on this pair of classic chaos worshippers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While your Laarden entries are the very stuff of Legends, these are very refreshing and done up in your usual exquisite style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sander! They were a really fun change from painting muskets and arquebuses, that's for sure!

      Delete
  5. Well, I like your broken-katana wielding demonic samurai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bark.... I feel sure he'll be a fan-favourite in many dungeons to come!

      Delete
  6. Splendid pair of realm of chaos knights!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, time flies when you're enjoying yourself, right? Definitely enjoyed your foray into the depths of the Chambers of Challenge so far and these two loonies are no different. Lovely work Sid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nick! They were both a lot of fun to paint. As I have mentioned so many times this Challenge - why did it take me so long to get these guys finally painted? :)

      Delete