Monday 15 March 2021

AlanD - Matrosen, vorwarts! (100 points)


I find myself unexpectedly having to move house in a couple of weeks, so this will probably be my final entry for AHPC XI. Back in AHPC VII in December 2016 I got right into painting some German Revolutionaries for 1918-1920. I've been getting very interested again in the inter-wars period recently, so bought a lovely bunch of revolutionary sailors from Tsuba Miniatures. I love Tsuba's range for the German Revolution, sculpted by Paul Hicks. They are a pleasure to paint, and available in Australia from Elite Miniatures.


These Matrosen (sailors) are from the Volksmarinedivision, the best unit supporting the Revolution in Berlin in 1918-19. I spent an evening trying to figure out what colour to paint the cockades on their caps. You'd expect them to tear off the Imperial cockades, and some photos seem to show plain caps, but they definitely have cockades in others, so what colour were they? Maybe they changed them to red? That's what I went with, but next time I might just cut the cockades off entirely.


Next I have some police from the Sicherheitspolizei (SiPo) to paint, and I'm likey to paint another awesome 1920s armoured car or two...then there are more Dacians, a bunch of Hellenistic Greeks to support Pompey's men in a Roman civil war, and loads of 6mm Austrians. I won't be running out of projects any time soon.

20 sailors gives me a nice round 100 points to finish on. Thank you minions for all your hard work this year, Curt for making this wonderful festival of paint possible, and to each of you who take part in such a great spirit of shared nerdiness. See you next year, when I aim to crack my 10,000 career points.



8 comments:

  1. Cool looking figures. The inter-war period has a lot to offer, and these sailors are full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Alan - good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, it's wonderful to see you revisit this project Alan. I love these guys. Such character. I think revolutionary red would be right for their cockades. Poor b@stards...

    Thank you for joining us for the fun, Alan. Best wished in your upcoming move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great sailors indeed! Hope you will be getting a decent hobby-room in the new crib! See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking revolutionary sailors!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool mate - I do like the sailor with the red beard :-)
    Reminds me thatI have some of these to do myself...

    ReplyDelete