Thursday 23 December 2021

From AlanD - Romanians from Uranus/Caprica (70 points)

 Hello everyone, and what a great pleasure it is to be back in your company for the Challenge! Thank you Curt and Minions for making this highlight of the hobby year possible.


One of my goals for the year is to paint a Romanian army for WWII, using the figures from Great Escape Games. With very few changes, I'll be able to use this for Battle Group, Bolt Action and Chain of Command, and against Soviets from 1941-1944, and Hungarians or Germans from August 1944 until the end of the war. Not the most visually exciting army, but I've tried to liven them up by placing them in early winter with snow bases to contrast with the Fifty Shades of Mud colour of their uniforms. I've gone for the look of snow when it's still melting a bit, and after years of mockery over failed attempts to make realistic-looking snow, I'm feeling good about this. I anxiously await 'Miss Smilla' Curt's judgement.

During the Battle of Stalingrad, while German troops were being constantly sucked into the fight to take the city, their flanks were held largely by Romanian, Hungarian and Italian troops. When the Soviets launched Operation Uranus in November 1942, the Romanians were rapidly overrun, lacking the artillery and armour necessary to hold a major Soviet offensive. As a result, I think we can consider the ill-equipped troops left unsupported by their German allies as doomed, and worthy of claiming Caprica on the Quadrant map. Really, with Operation Uranus, I should be claiming two planets - but is Uranus a planet anymore? I lose track.

Anyway- this first squad of 10 with the Caprica bonus should get me on the scoreboard with 70 points.

Merry Christmas everyone!




______________________________

Oh, that's very nasty, slushy, miserably looking snow, and I say that in the best possible way. Well done, Alan! I think it's great that you're doing one of the unsung Axis contingents of WWII. The Romanians, Hungarians and Italians often got the icky end of the stick, both from their opponents and their unthankful allies, so it's good to see them getting some representation on the tabletop. I look forward to seeing more of these in the coming months.

Welcome back to the Challenge, Dux!

- Curt


17 comments:

  1. Nice and cold looking soldiers there, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice mate - great to see these posted already after watching you base them yesterday. Looking forward to seeing you field them on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. Gotta love the minor nation theme. I’ve a box of winter Italians I hope to start in the challenge.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the less usual stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some great basing indeed, good starter for the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always great to see some of the lesser represented armies of WW2. They look fantastic for your chosen theatre, cold and thoroughly miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see some WW2 Romanians, they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super wintry bases and nice brushwork- good luck for Challenge 12

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making good looking snow is hard, but you have done it well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m new to the miniatures world, but I’m no stranger to snow! Your snow looks spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think they are awesome,Dux! Muddy, cold, and that looks exactly like that vile slushy stuff that makes your socks soggy and feet blocks of ice. You nailed it sir! 👏 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like your fifty shades of mud.

    ReplyDelete