Thursday 23 December 2021

From SamuliS: Night Terrors - Caprica (40 points)

Time for another quick entry before all the Christmas activities take over! This time a couple of monsters to act as random encounters in various games. With the release of Silver Bayonet a month or so ago I got interested in the rules as I've been a fan of previous Joseph McCullough rulesets and especially Frostgrave. As random monster encounters feature pretty heavily in these games I figured I needed some more monsters to bring variety and to also have miniatures that would be more suited to the Napoleonic Gothic setting of Silver Bayonet compared to the fantasy offerings I had for Frostgrave.

 

The first additions are a couple of Dopplers and Death Dogs to scare any of our bands of Napoleonic monster hunters. I'm actually still waiting for the ruleset (darn Christmas postage issues) so not sure what I will play them as, but they should fit different monster archetypes quite well.

 

The minis themselves are Wizkids D&D preprimed miniatures. I've taken a liking to some of these preprimed offerings especially for cases like this as they are quite inexpensive and for cases where I need a few monsters that might occasionally make a showing in some game based on random dice throws they are just perfect as it's super fast to get them to the table and the selection and quality of the sculpts are pretty good for the price. Painting was a breeze as well as I just used a couple of different Citadel contrast colours thrown on top of each other while still wet and edges blended for a slightly better look. The Death Dogs are maybe a bit too dark and could use some highlights, but I've tried to keep my random encounter minis as simple as possible to just have them as nice appetizers between painting other projects. And they might not ever really even make it into a game (I've still got some minis I painted for Frostgrave that have never been in a battle despite being on the random monster pool in tens of games).

 

These will part of my next step on the Quadrant map with transit from Arda to Caprica. Random monsters ambushing the player groups should fit pretty nicely to the theme of the planet. So four 28mm monsters and the extra Quadrant points should give me another 40 points to my tally. A decent enough start for the first couple of challenge days, though my output will probably drop over Christmas and I'll focus on finishing some minis I started before the challenge.

_________________________________

Ooh, nice monsties, Samuli! I especially like the look of those super-scary Dopplers (makes a note to check out Wizkids offerings at the local shop). I also caved and bought a copy of 'Silver Bayonet' from Amazon Prime. Hopefully, should be here in a few days, effectively derailing all my painting plans for the next few months. Thanks mate!

- Curt


21 comments:

  1. Very nice looking miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the nicest possible way these are revolting. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on these beasties Samuli. I have some Wizkids offerings on the workbench. I have taken to re-priming these as on the first couple that I tried, I found that the pain flowed off like water off a ducks back. Have you had similar issues?
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the preprimed surface can be a bit glossy at times leading to paint flowing off it. But for me it's usually worked that I let any paint that is there dry and do another layer. The second one usually sticks without issues.

      Delete
  4. Great use of the contrast colours and the basing is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As random encounters/wandering monsters, the various wizkids models are ideal. Nice work getting them ready for the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking wandering monsters!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Contrast blending techique looks nice, I might need to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Death Dogs are especially scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rather like these Samuli! It is very comforting to see friends also piqued in curiosity and acquiring minis for Silver Bayonet. I too am on the hunt for everything to make that game even more fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Effective, terrifying work Samuli.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very useful monstrosities!

    ReplyDelete