Thursday 23 December 2021

From SanderS: Christmas Truce (25 points)

 Hoi,

Here we go, my first post of this Challenge and I am happy to be back again. Since we have just done down into another lock-down here in the Netherlands, a lot of time last week has gone into preparing for online-teaching when the break is over. That left me only limited time for my first post and I really wanted to make something Christmas related but the only figures I had lying around for this were the two WW1 soldiers playing a game of soccer during the Christmas Truce of 1914 made for Wargames Illustrated. 




From the start I intended this piece to be a showcase vignette and not a wargames figure and so I made the scenics more to give the impression of nearby trenches and battlefield debris, rather then really recreating an actual battlefield with trenches and all. 



In the end I am very happy with how this piece turned out and it nets me my first 10 points for the two 28 mm figures.

Now on to some more point-heavy posts.

Have a great Christmas everyone, cheers Sander


___________________________

Wow, you've done fabulous work on this vignette, Sander! I'm gobsmacked, really. I've seen these figures several times, but think this the best treatment of them. On top of the excellent figures, I really admire the judicious use of battlefield scatter to set the scene - wonderful. I'm going to add a few extra points for your work on this wonderful vignette.  

Welcome back to the Challenge, Sander!

- Curt

32 comments:

  1. Lovely work Sander, really great ground scape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, I really struggled to get the look good enough and strated over 3 times, that said I am happy with result!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Sander, very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Curt is adding some bonus points; war gaming piece or not the extra attention really deserves more. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Curt: Gosh I didn't think them THAT good, but thanks heaps for the praise! Now I have something to live up to don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Sander, the terrain looks amazing and really brings the minis to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a very nice looking vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a cool vignette Sanders and a great idea for the season!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent looking vignette, nice scenery!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi there Iain, great to meet you here again this year and thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely wonderful and Christmassy for Wargames. Well done.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent model. I did these models a couple of years ago but your's are much nicer! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I do not believe it for just one minute, you are a far better painter, but I thank you for your praise!

      Delete
  11. A wonderfully evocative piece SanderS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful vignette Sander. It really does tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha, I really did try to make it tell that story but the limited space and my limited abilities in basing meant I wasn't able to go any better than this.

      Delete
  13. Grand work Sander! My favorite Christmas war story and very well done. Clean brushwork and the scatter is light and indicates more even the patches of snow. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, as a teacher I try to show fragments of the movie made about this story in school each year but due to the quarantine couldn't do so this tyear. Therefore this is my little homage to the story.

      Cheers Sander

      Delete
  14. Welcome back Sander, nice work on the truce, I have that same model in my pile 'o shame, maybe I should dig it out

    ReplyDelete
  15. That’s a spectacular vignette! Well done.

    ReplyDelete