Sunday 26 December 2021

From IanS: First post of Challenge XII - Ancients, and Napoleonic's all 15mm

This will be only my second year on the challenge, and I have been looking forward to this all year.  This time around the majority of the figures will be for myself with some for my son.

The projects for this year are:

Napoleonic:  15mm

Wurttemberg army for 1809

Danish army for 1813

Foreign Cavalry for the French army – This has come about due to the release of the Warlord Games waterloo epic range and Wargames Illustrated free sprue on December’s issue.  Due to the generosity of the members of the Farnbourgh wargaming club and extra sprues from Wargaming Illustrated I have ended up with 6 French and 6 British Heavy cavalry sprues -240 figures and 12 guns.  My son has set me a challenge to use them to make units that are not French or British so over the next few months there will be numerous conversions of these figures.

Ancients:  15mm

Ancient British – My first 15mm army which has been stripped and is undergoing repainting

Seleucid – Due to points system for local rules being changed I find that I need more units for this army, what a shame.

Ptolemaic – My sons Christmas present 

Naval:

Italian per dreadnoughts 1/3000 all ships will be scratched built

Last year I had a frozen left shoulder which did not hinder my painting but this year I have a frozen right shoulder which causes my hand to tremble after about 15 minutes painting as well as not allowing me to sleep longer than and hour and a half.  Put the combination does seem to work for the challenge, wake with pain paint for 15 mins try to sleep repeat till need to go to work.

My first entries are in the ancients with a Ptolemaic Phalanx.  Figures are from Outpost Wargaming Services



Next up an Ancient British warband figures from ebay but I recognise some Donnington’s in the mix.



Lastly in the ancient’s category is a unit of Seleucid Cataphracts again figures from the Outpost Wargaming Services.





Napoleonic Entries

These are Wurttemberg units for my 8th Corps 1809.

2nd Chevauleger all figures from Warlord Games Epic French Heavy cavalry Sprue.  In true Christmas tradition the printer packed up so I was unable to print standards for units.



Horse artillery a 2 gun battery again using the figures from the Warlord Games Epic sprues.  This time I have used the Royal Horse Artillery figures from the British sprue and combined them with the French gun carriage.


And finally, some infantry, unfortunately I have no idea what the make is as again an ebay purchase.



So, points I would like to claim:

Ptolemaic Phalanx - 16  x 15mm figures = 32

Ancient British warband – 12 x 15mm figures = 24

 Seleucid Cataphracts – 11 x 15mm figures = 44

(Yes I know there are 12 in pictures, but one was a test run done before the challenge started)

 

Wurttemberg Cavalry – 12 x 15mm figures = 48

Wurttemberg Infantry – 22 x 15mm figures – 44

(Again 2 test figures)

Wurttemberg Artillery – 8 x 15mm figures – 16

                                            2 x 15mm guns – 8

 

Total claimed – 216 points.

________________________________

Fantastic stuff with this crashing opening volley, Ian!  Wow, incredible output. You've been very industrious over the holidays. I like that you have your projects all lined-up and organized for the Challenge. I wish I had such discipline, but I seem to be happiest when I'm pinwheeling all over the place. 

So much to like here, but I have to say that my favourites are the colourful warband warriors and the Seleucid Cataphracts with their red lances. Lovely stuff. This entry will pop you quite high in the points standings. Terrific work, Ian!

- Curt



12 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with Curt: I love the corn blue on the Württemberg Artillery crew you've got it spot on! Great start Ian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou it three atempts to get the blue right. Only another two batteries to go

      Delete
  2. Nice work Ian! Really like the Seleucid Cataphracts. The red and gold work nicely together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great array of 15s Iain. Nice to see some Wurtemburgers and always love me some ancients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely group of 15s to get you going 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking ancients and Napoleonic conversions, I'm doing 1809 too, now I'm eyeing up some Wurttembergers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and varied entry. I wonder what miracles that frozen shoulder does, but it doesn't seem to slow you down. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Ian! Pretty close to a whole catalog of 15s! The cataphracts and Britons are my favorites, that blue is certainly vibrant!

    ReplyDelete