Sunday 26 December 2021

From BruceR: The Silver Bayonet - 28mm Spanish Hunters - Istvann V (55 Points)

This my second Challenge and my first post, I'm excited to once again share in the hobby with all who pick up the gauntlet as it were.  Without saying, thanks to Curt and Sarah, as well as the Minions, making this all possible.  

As a typical gamer I have many projects and interests.  When Joe McCollough hinted at Napoleonic Gothic Horror release, I bit.  Preordered the book and all the forces.  Yes, another lead junkie.  The few gamers I regularly play with do many types of games, and we had great fun with Frostgrave as it took all of us back to our origin with D&D as our first foray into games and allowed small games with 4-6 players.  I love historical and Napoleonic is tops.  I have large forces in 15mm and gradually expanding to 28mm.  So, I felt confident my group would like The Silver Bayonet for multi-player type games.  

Last challenge the "Chamber" had me break out some Alternative Army Flintlouqe figures for one of the rooms.  Well, before I received The Silver Bayonet I went to the lead bin and dug out more Flintlouqe miniatures, which were perfect for this game.  With a games weekend planned with buddies before X-mas and one of our expatriate gamers coming back for the games I decided we needed to give it a try.  So, a few figures painted (ghast) prior to the challenge I made up 6 forces with already painted Napoleonics and new painted Flintlouqe French elves we had a smashing time. (the book arrives 1 week prior, thanks, Lon, Brigade Games).   

The game is great and maybe it is my age, but these figures will be on the board for TSB and Sharp's Practice.  Dual purpose.  Yes, I'm a firmly converted Lardy.

I intend to paint all three forces I have received as they are great figures and wonderful for both TSB and Sharpes Practice.  Woe is me as I see three new forces will be released in January.  More lead for the lead box.

Up first the Spanish Hunters.  These figures are fabulous and I have painted them using the box art for inspiration.  I'm sure this says something about my side of brain thinking, I paint more efficiently with a guide (thus historical preferred) The Hunters are loaded with rosary beads and crosses, giving them the true Spanish guerrilla effect based in religion.  Who could not love a monster hunter in a top hat.  

I freely admit I'm a 3 foot detail painter.  No museum pieces here, I propose they look good on the table (at 3 feet) and I can crank out more even with character pieces.  Hope you enjoy.   

ISTVAAN V: BETRAYAL; HERETICAL/HERETICS; With war raging in Iberia these hunters take missions both, to hunt down all types of horrors loosed upon their lands and any backstabbing French forces they may meet in their travels.  The French coming to their lands initially as friends and ending up betraying all Spanish and overthrowing the God faring royalty.




   Basecoat applied.



Spanish Hunters minus one, who has been tasked with finding alternate transportation. (I'm taking the Snow Lords advice of last year and not posting all my female figures at once and using them to jet around the galaxy)


I present VEGA'S VENGENCE (all names shamelessly

stolen from TV and/or movies)



Admiral Don Diego de la Vega






Veteran Hunter Ricky Ricardo




Pvt Victor Sifuentes




Artillerist William Adama Consuela




Champion of Faith father Pedro Sanchez 



CPL Frederick Lebre Diaz




Guardsman Sapper PVT Danniel Trejo "the AXE"





There is my first submission.   Slowly worked on them using the hour a day method and pecked away at the posting during the holiday.  Two days away to celebrate with family and now poised to hit "Ready" if I read Tamsin's instructions correctly.  I hope to start on the British force today.  Happy Christmas, Stay safe and Healthy and below zero in the Dakotas for the next week so lots of painting might get done.   

7 28mm infantry @5     = 35pts
Istvaan V outer rim        = 20
Total                               = 55pts

_________________________________

Welcome back Bruce! Fantastic post. It seems that 'Silver Bayonet' is the new shiny this season. Of course, I am more susceptible than most, so I quickly nabbed a Kindle copy, AND ordered a book as well.  Yep. No. Will. Whatsoever.  :) 

I like that your 'team' is made up of Spanish hunters. Very characterful! I especially like Ricky Ricardo (boo!), with his cuirass, blunderbuss and crucifix. In fact, if you look at his pack of tricks you can clearly see that this el luchador is ready for anything!

Terrific work Bruce!

- Curt


18 comments:

  1. Wow! Those Silver Bayonet figures are lovely and you've treated them to some tiptop brushwork. Beginning to regret not going in for this one - even though some of my friends are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to see more Silver Bayonet submissions Bruce! These Spanish are great - Brave heroes defending their mother country from all aggressors, natural and unnatural (not sure which one the French are...)

    I am buying some of the new wave releases too - I have been publicly shamed here for not having any Napoleonic models so here we go down the slippery slope! I hope they come out as nicely as yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking minion Bruce. I’ve not bitten on SB, I’ll let Curt take the lead on that one. Senor Riccardo looks like he thinks there’s some ‘splaining to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite sure these minis are good looking even closer than 3 feet. Great looking and varied group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Spanish guerilla monster hunter!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of the models look fantastic, but I particularly like Father Sanchez. The white streaks in the hair are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful painting and great looking sculpts .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh stop it: you're not helping me keeping from starting yet another new project! Such great figures might tip me over...

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking work on capturing the character of those Silver Bayonet mini's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great painting work, full of character. I have been looking at these models since launched. I think they'd make a terrific set of leaders to play Sharp Practice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back Bruce, a lovely start to the Challenge 👍

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice work! Those Silver Bayonet rules seem to be quite hip atm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful figures, Bruce! The paint and the names.;) they all look really good and I may need ro check the range closer. Looks like they would be food for sharp practice and Donnybrook as well. So much easier to take the plunge in a new range if you know you can use them for many rulesets. ;)
    They look like a motley enough group to serve in the Penninsula War harassing French Dragoons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice team! Welcome back, Bruce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work! I recently picked up this rules set myself. Great motivator.

    ReplyDelete