Tuesday 11 January 2022

From SarahHC: Mushrooms for Moonstone! [Solaris](35 Points)


Hello Everybody!

The Star Yacht has brought me to my destination of Solaris - a planet of deception and illusion. Visitors to the planet will be enchanted by the wondrous and colourful mushrooms scattered throughout its forests.


In my mind, these mushrooms, though pretty to look at, are in reality, quite deceptive. They spew noxious hallucinogenic spores to ward off interlopers or make them more susceptible to the hungry forest creatures.


Moonstone has been regularly played in this household since summer. I hope these mushrooms will be good addition to the game table. I can only imagine that Curt will be embellishing rules to accommodate my noxious fungi. :)

These are 3D prints from Printable Scenery. As part of my 'indoctrination' into this hobby, I cleaned and primed before moving on the the painting and eventual basing, but more on that later!


I had a lot of fun with the colours and the use of Curt's Contrast paints was a boon. I had an idea in my head of mushrooms in an Alice in Wonderland/Willy Wonka world, but not Tim Burton-style, or too cartoonish, if that makes any sense.

Having fun with my paint journal.

I am really quite pleased with them. Although I can see mistakes, I have learned more about painting minis doing these than I have just watching Curt over the years. The basing process was a struggle, I hadn’t trimmed the 3D prints well enough, so the pieces wouldn’t fit, I glued one mushroom off-center on its washer base which really annoys me, and I can see the seams where the prints fit together… grrr!  Frankly, I'm lucky that I didn’t super glue my fingers together!

Curt is the designated mini-photographer, so the big, fat fingers you see are his … not mine. :)

Here is my grove of Mushrooms along with Curt's Moonstone Faeries to give a sense of scale.

As to points, these fungi take up about 3/4 of a cube, so 15 points, plus 20 for Solaris for a grand total of 35. As we are counting 'pure points' for my Chocolate Cake Challenge with Natasha, this will leave me just a little shy of the mark, so I'm hoping she came up short as well so we can dash to the finish together next week. 

Speaking of which, next week I will summon the Star Yacht to zip me across the quadrant to my next destination. I'm planning a fun female figure as a surprise for Tamsin!

See you soon!

- Sarah


And Lady S gets in her riposte in the Chocolate Cake Challenge! Those 'shrooms look simply superb!

It's great to see how you and Tasha are developing as painters.

Tamsin

35 comments:

  1. THese are great and I absolutely love your painting journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mushrooms were fun … I’d like to paint up another set, so there maybe more before the Challenge is complete

      Delete
  2. Great work Sarah! As Curt will tell you, some of us in the hobby (OK, maybe just me) have a huge hangup when it comes to painting terrain...I'm always impressed when someone else manages to pull it off - and have it look great! Glad you are enjoying it. Also, these mushrooms will look ace on all manner of gaming table settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg
      I thought the mushrooms would fit into a lot of Fantasy worlds, but also Sci Fic too.
      I’m keen on doing some more terrain, maybe a small building as an experiment.

      Delete
  3. Those mushrooms do look ace, albeit I'm rather certain one souldn't try to consume them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially was going to paint the mushrooms more candy coloured, but I like the murky purple and green shades I ended up with.
      But, you are right … when exploring the forest DO NOT eat mushrooms that look like this!

      Delete
  4. Great looking 'shrooms Sarah, excellent paint work! Maybe more impressive though is your painting book, I have tried many times over the years to track colours and schemes so I can go back to do more later, but always fall short and squirrel away to something else... great work and super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy day on Solaris today! Fine looking mushrooms and I hope your journal gives you sone perspective and memories once you get older. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The paint journal will come in handy when Curt has ‘absorbed’ my minis into his Collection … proof of ownership!

      Delete
  6. Neat terrain pieces like the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent shrooms Sarah. Your notebook shows planning that I cannot comprehend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah - wow! These are stunning 🤩 Can we talk about your paint journal for a minute? I opened mine… that’s about as far as I got! Yours is its own piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you!
      My intent with The Paint Journal is to stay inspired, motivated and organized. A challenge in itself 🙃


      Delete
  9. I really like seeing your paint journal; an interesting little insight into the way you tackle the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I have found the journal to be very helpful so far - I sort of sketch/play with colour before committing paint to figure

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, I do love a mushroom or two, although these look like I'd be in hospital for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really lovely work... don't want to imagine what side effects eating these mushrooms would have

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely entrancing, Sarah, I’ve totally fallen under the hypnotic allure of your strange and wonderful flora. They remind me of the original Star Trek episode about the plants whose spores enslave passers by. And your journal! Lovely to see the thought behind this.
    My printer and I are off now to visit Printable Scenery!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic fungi! The strange shades of green and purple were good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are beautiful looking mushrooms Sarah and very creative as well!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  16. THIS is why contrast paints exist. They look amazing! I've struggled over the years to get what I felt was a naturally organic look exactly like this. So cool Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are fantastic, they do have an air of menace to them and no mistake. Did you get bonus marks for the absolutely brilliant sketches in the book!?!? Proper arty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your take on Solaris, the mushrooms look absolutely great and your painting journal even greater! I myself I struggle to remember which colours I used within days from finishing anything but some notes here and there (literally!) are all I manage. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those shrooms look awesome, just the right look for some realistic fantasy/ sci-fi (if that even exists).
    Perhaps this has been mentioned before and I have missed it, but shouldn't a trip in lady SARAH'S yaught be free to the lady in question?

    Anyways great little scenic piece despite mr Butterfingers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Brilliant work SarahHC! They look very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great psilocybin. Wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Splendid looking space fungus !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those look really cool, but that journal is amazing!

    ReplyDelete