Tuesday 11 January 2022

From SanderS: Going to Solaris! (50 points)

 Hoi,

 

Finally I have come round to starting my Challenge Quadrant journey. Last Challenges I tried to visit every waypoint on the bonus maps but I won't even try that here. Time is precious with work at school, COVID and an impending renovation of the house as well as several cool projects in the works. 


This year I have ample figures in store for my Quadrant entries so I just had to find a pleasant locale to start from. Of course my greatest Sci-Fi love is Battletech and therefore I just had to start at Solaris the Gameworld! Now I am not going to explain in length what Solaris means in the Battletech lore, that's why I put the link in after all, but let's just suffice with: Battlemechs are made for waging war and can thus also be used for sports and that happens on Solaris.

Many of the great CBT novels tell the story of Solaris and the great FedCom civil war starts there. So it's not surprising that I have several mechs I want to paint up in the colours of some of the larger Gaming Stables of Solaris VII. The two featured here are: 





An Awesome in blue and white tiger stripes (yes thát's what they are) of the Skye Tigers and a Locust of the De Lon stable in red, black and white. The red squares are sporting Stable logo's from the brilliant people at Fighting Piranha Decals and they are really cool. 

Now the description in the Challenge Quadrant information says "Deception" for Solaris and these two mechs are hardly deceptive. The mechs down below however...

Yes these are true Decepticons from the Transformers Universe, but CBT scale and no they're not commercially available any more. They were very shortly until lawyers were let loose and TM rules were enacted.

Included here are two of the Seekers (the Decepticon Airforce) and the 5 Cassette Bots used as a sort of drones by my all time favourite: Soundwave!

Soundwave (whom I painted earlier) and his Cassette Bots




Above: Laserbeak (red) and Buzzsaw (yellow)

Frenzy (left) and Rumble (right) 


Ravage



Thundercracker (left) and Star Scream (leader of the Seekers and Righthand bot to Megatron)

Below are the 3 original seekers: Thundercracker, Starscream and Skywarp

So we come to the points and as far as I am are concerned it's rather easy, the Cassette Bots counts as 6mm vehicles for 2 points each (5x2=10) then there's 4 mechs that are basically as big as an 28mm figure so 5 pop each makes 30 in total. Together with the locale bonus that should be 50 points. 

Decepticons ATTACK!


Great work on these Decepticons, Sander! Very crisp colouring.

Tamsin



40 comments:

  1. Nice job on those bots, great to see you "Roll out" on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you just wait till I get to Cybertron...

      Delete
  2. Story wise you lost me at Batteltech, but t I really like the painting on the giant rompy stompy robots. Great tiger stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries Peter, I get that, but yeah what's not to like about rompy stompy bots?!

      Delete
  3. Such cool nostalgia Sander, and very well done. Great job.
    I always liked Soundwave the most...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soundwave is the coolest mainly because he had that awesome voice effect and offered a calm professionalism to counter the bumbling of Starscream and the megalomania of Megatron.

      Delete
  4. I have the Transformers tv commercial jingle running on loop in my brain now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Rompy-Stompy Robots are always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize that Solaris was also in the Battletech universe - how cool is that. Well, these minis are cooler, let me tell you! Brilliant work Sander. Best wishes on the upcoming house reno too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers boss! But hold on, is there another Solaris outside of the CBT universe?! ;-p

      Delete
  7. Nicely done, Sander. My grandkids watch a show called PawPatrol about an annoying boy genius and his mech enhanced puppies. I could see them all growing up and moving into your BT universe!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on Rider and his pups, awful! But yeah my eldest is into CBT too now.

      Delete
  8. Solaris mechs for Solaris? Great choice! I love the Transformers minis (though how the producer thought he wouldn't get shut down...), is there an alt-mode version of them? Thundercracker was the first Transformer I got, so the nostalgia is high there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a complicated story butoriginally they did have the rights to make the game, but got in a row split the company and lost the license. There are these: https://wizkids.com/transformers-deep-cuts-unpainted-miniatures/ made by HASBRO themselves in conjunction with Wizkids

      Delete
  9. great work on the mechs

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those transformers are ace, makes me want to dig my old toy versions out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well why wouldn't you? There's more to come!

      Delete
  11. Splendid looking stompy robots!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see Battletech coming back in popularity, nice one 👍

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those transformers are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the transformers, Sander! The colors are spot on!

    ReplyDelete