Tuesday 11 January 2022

From TashaH: Mana Faerie [Vulcan] 30 points

 

Ahhh the planet of Vulcan and all things logical and pointy-eared. Not to be confused with the town of Vulcan, Alberta, Canada - where all the streets were originally named after gods and goddesses. 

I'll confess. I'm not overly happy with my figure for this planet. She is a 3D print from Jukka Seppänen on My Mini Factory If you are considering printing this file for yourself, be wary. She is fragile. The petals of her skirt and her wings are paper thin. You have been warned! (she is sooo pretty and hard to resist)

Because of her fragile nature, I was leery of going in too much to fix the errors I made.  She will look pretty on a shelf from a distance! 

 


You can see her pointy ears peeking out from behind her beautiful blue hair, which was obtained with Talassar Blue Contrast. Her dress was accomplished by using a metallic white and metallic green wash over Shyish Purple Contrast. You can't see them, but she has cute little bloomers under her dress! 

 


I based her on an mdf flower and then glued a mirrored tile of the same shape on top. I thought it mimicked the flowers on her dress and crown nicely. I then affixed the figure to the mirror. 


This shot is with the figure held up to the light, to give you an idea how thin her wings are. They definitely mimic faerie wings and the pictures don't do justice to the shimmery effect I was able to obtain on them with a very thin metallic green wash. 

I was able to get some more painting supplies this past week. I am having so much fun with all my new things!

The points:

54 mm figure - 10 points

Planet Bonus - 20 points

Total: 30 points

Chocolate Cake Duel - 10 points


Coming soon: Registering flight plans for Lady Sarah's Space Yacht.


Wow! That is a lovely figure! And your painting looks fab.

Tamsin

52 comments:

  1. Lovely figure Tasha, great work. A gentleman never peaks up a lady’s skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work especially that skirt it looks almost translucent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adam! It was fun to play around with a lot of metallic shades on her dress.

      Delete
  3. It's a lovely figure, Natasha. I especially like her shimmering bloomers and blue hair. The basing is ingenious as well. Very ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! Basing is super scary - so to have it work out was a relief!

      Delete
  4. Very nice, playing around with metallics and contrasts, good results. She will find a good home Star Yacht.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a delicate looking figure. Printed models can be tricky sometimes can't they, but you've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one of the first figures I found to download. I have since learned what types of things to look for in a build! This is a beautiful figure, it’s just really challenging to paint if you want to touch it!

      Delete
  6. Fine work Natasha, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is lovely and delicate and the basing is genius

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! Basing stresses me out! I’m glad I made good decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely looking display piece. The light through the wings effect looks great, even if it means you can't touch the miniature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart! She will soon be making her way to a shelf in my new painting room.

      Delete
  10. She looks lovely Natasha and the wings really came out a charm!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb! That pearlescent effect on the wings is amazing. I'm loving the different approach you've brought to the Challenge Natasha. I don't think we've ever had a miniature based on a mirror and it is great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millsy! I was worried about basing her on the mirror! I didn’t know if it was breaking any rules!

      Delete
  12. Lovely painting! Like Millsy, I'm super impressed with the pearlescent effect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice, I do like the metallic glazes to get the effect on the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul! I really like shiny things. You all may want to take away my metallics by the end of the Challenge!

      Delete
  14. Fantastic painting on such a dainty little figure! I’d have snapped multiple parts whilst painting it I reckon….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look closely, you can see where I did snap the tip off one petal of her dress. That’s when I had to stop painting!

      Delete
  15. Very well done! Love her blue hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I could pull off blue hair like that!

      Delete
  16. An excellent job all around, Natasha, and the basing is fab! And those wings! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely and suitably ethereal work, Natasha. Love the whimsical faerie stuff that you and Sarah are showing us. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike! I can see this faerie flitting about in Sarah’s mushroom grove!

      Delete
  18. it just all fits together soooo well! The figure, your choice of colour and the basework! I was specially impressed by the picture with the light shining through the wings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sander! I’m glad you liked the picture with the light shining through her wings. It was difficult to capture their ‘fragility’!

      Delete
  19. Great painting scheme. Wonderful miniature.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely, delicate figure, very nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another really cool looking figure 👍 top job

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete