Monday 7 February 2022

From David V - 1/48 scale Anakin and Artoo (27.5 points) (Glorantha)

 "Now THIS is pod racing!"





After recently watching Episode 5 of 'The Book of Boba Fett' TV show, I put aside the project I was working on and dug out an unbuilt, 1/48 scale diecast N1 Naboo Starfighter, from 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace'. I built it stock. (I also traded with Conscript FrederickC for an all-plastic snapfast kit, to eventually turn into The Mandalorian's rat rod version of the ship, seen in that episode.)

The pilot figure in the diecast kit is little Ani Skywalker, a 9-year-old kid. It looked somewhat blob-like to me, but after black priming and zenithal highlighting, it turned out to have a fair amount of detail. After some GW washes, I did some detailing and blending with artists' oils.

R2-D2 rides in the astro-mech slot behind the cockpit; after black priming I sprayed his head with Tamiya aluminum paint from a can. Details and carbon scoring were done with oils.

The cockpit had some details, mostly not screen accurate, which I just picked out with acrylics and washes, after gray priming.







The N1 starfighter is a  mostly metal kit, with either yellow enamel already painted on, or polished metal parts, and a clear canopy. I screwed it together with the provided screws, setting them into place with locktite fluid, and covering the screw heads with the provided metal caps. I added some of the 22-year-old decals, which fortunately did not disintegrate after liberal use of decal set and solvent solutions. This is a painting challenge, so I take no points/credit for the starfighter itself.









Scoring: 5 points for the roughly 25mm pilot figure, 2.5 points for the top part of Artoo, plus 20 bonus points for Glorantha: Heroes. Somewhat accidentally, Anakin destroyed the Droid Control Ship at the end of 'The Phantom Menace', helping to save the day. Total = 27.5 points.


I like to see old lead resurrected and I like to see kit bartered between Challenge members, so well done on both counts here.  Ani and Artoo look great.  That straighter is a rather vibrant banana yellow.  I might consider toning it down with some ashes to represent grime.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome work on Ani and R2 there Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on the racer crew!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, this is terrific Dave. When I first saw the draped silhouette of the starfighter chassis in 'The Book of Boba Fett' I pointed at the screen and yelled 'Yaaas!!' This entry makes me happy. Now, I look forward to seeing your rendition of the 'street fighter' version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, Dave. Can't wait to see the 'hot rod' conversion on the kit I traded you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice little starship and crew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work, but I still dislike the prequels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on the pilots, David! But after all the washes and stuff on the pilots, the ship itself looks a bit boring?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David:

    I've painted enough airplane kit cockpits and pilots to respect someone who puts in work that may never be fully seen. Fantastic result.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete