Monday 7 February 2022

BradS 28mm Vietnam US ACAV [Babylon5 120pts.]


I have been working hard on this set of M113 ACAV Vehicles for my Vietnam project. The CAV played a major role in the Vietnam War. For my 28mm games I needed a platoon of ACAV vehicles. I printed all of these on a resin 3D printer. The STL files are from the Bobmack3d Vietnam Kickstarter. I think they painted up real nice and I am excited to try them on the table top. For this journey I am heading to Babylon 5 as my destination. I feel that the ACAV in Vietnam is deficiently Operatic and fitting for the planet. 


The .50 cal and two M60s add a lot of firepower to the M113.


I started the process of painting these with a lot of airbrush work. Primed, under-shaded, main coat then highlighting were all done with an air brush. I did all the vehicles at once.

I couldn't resist adding a M113 Flame track to the group. It is not officially in a platoon but I am going to use it in a scenario. Should be a load of fun.


This version is the plain no extra stowage version. I added it to have a M113 that was cleaner than the others.


But I really like the ones that are covered all kinds of boxes, c-ration boxes, tarps and ammo cans. Really adds a realistic look to them. They came this way so I didn't have to add anything extra, just print and paint them up
You might notice that this one is a up-armored version. You can tell by the different looking front. The extra armor was under the driver to protect from mines but a new float trim plane was added to compensate for the extra weight. In photos from the Vietnam War you can see this version mixed in with the other M113 ACAV vehicles, even in the same platoon.


Overall it was a lot of work. These took me two weeks to complete. I like how they turned out and will defiantly be painting up other versions like the M106 Mortar Track or the M163 VADS!

As for points:

28mm Vehicles x5 + 1 Planet = 120 points.

I will be continuing on with my Vietnam project so expect more in the future
- Brad

Super work on these grimy warhorses Brad.  The extra work on detailing and clutter storage really pays off.  I also like the variations with the uncluttered vehicle and the flamer 9this seems to be the day fr the Flamers on Tracks Jeopardy round).  I'll ask the dreaded 1/48 or 1/56 question now and then hide in my bunker while the fireworks ensue.


12 comments:

  1. Nice ACAV vehicles, Brad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are lovely and better that the normal tin box M113

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous looking Vietnam war era armour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are fabulous, Brad. I especially like the lived-in look you gave them with the the additional stowage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some vehicles are just iconic and I think M113's fall into that category - these are superbly painted

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving those I must say

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on them! Nice subtle weathering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of armoured vehicles today! Well done with these big beasts, the variation on the stowage gives nice variation and adds campaign feel. It also helps to have the correct feeling on some scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice tracks, well done.
    Cheers,
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete