Monday 7 February 2022

From StuartL - A Giant Sized Post - 107 points

Hello all,

Sadly I wasn't able to get anything posted last week due to a number of reasons. Work has been getting busier as some staff are off work with Covid or are isolating due to being in close proximity. I've also hit the mid-challenge doldrums where other activities are calling to me and picking up a brush is getting harder to do. Anyway, I managed to get a couple of things finished off, so expect a few posts from me today. 

I thought I would kick things off with a giant sized post of Reaper Bones minis. All of these are from the various Reaper Kickstarters over the past few years. As anyone who has bought any of the Bones line will know, the smaller models tend to be quite bendy, but the bigger models are very sturdy and very cheap for what you get. I have a load of regular heroes and monsters for my D&D games, but I wanted to focus on getting some of the larger models ready for the table-top and so present here a bunch of bigger, chunkier models.

Starting off with the smallest figure I painted, this Beastman stands a meagre 40mm in height. Though not really visible due to his attacking pose, there are a bunch of skull emblems on his belt.


This next group of minis, range in height from 50-60mm and include 2 Ogres, a Rat-ogre, a Minotaur, a Formorian Giant and an Ettin. Several of them are also carrying skulls on their belts or on a necklace.



Next up we have two Hill Giants, each standing over 60mm tall and sporting tree trunks with which to wallop adventurers who stray within reach.


And finally, standing at a whopping 100mm tall, a Cyclops. His weapon is made from the base of a pillar chained to the end of a massive branch from a tree, and he is wearing a belt made from fleeces and a necklace of skulls and assorted bones. It's these details that really help define the scale of the figure.



And just to give you an idea of the size of these minis, we have Jarl Hvat-skael (a 28mm gripping beast mini) posing in front of the group. As you can no doubt tell, all of the minis were painted in the same fashion. I was tempted to try doing different skin tones, but figured that it would be easier to do them all the same and get them done faster.


So, by my rough calculations I have:
1x40mm @7 points = 7 Points.
8x54mm @10 points = 80 Points.
1xMonster @20 points = 20 Points. 
For a grand total of 107 Points. 

There are a total of 21 Skulls on these minis, which can be added to my Skullz Duel total as well.
Skullz Total: 78

See you in the next post! 

Great to see you back again Stuart.  I think we all have a love/hate relationship with Reaper Bones minis, but I agree that size definitely matters in this case.  I love this collection of massive brutes, the Jarl better turn around before he becomes a tinned snack.  I did not count the Skullz as it is well below my pay grade.  I will leave final tally to the Skullometer and the Skullz-Boffin.

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is all quite monstrous Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those giants look great, Stuart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome collection of giants!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an enormous Cyclops! Great collection of brutes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on this collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, lovely horrible looking ogres!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of big nasties here! Imagine buying this amount of minis of this size from GW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Greg:
    A monstrous post, from the days when giants (with skulls) walked among us, on us, and over us. Thankfully those days are no longer with us! Great job on these nasties and their horrible flesh tones, I quite like the cyclops.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete