Monday 7 February 2022

From JamesM: 15mm Flamethrower Half-tracks (65 points)

Hi folks,

Switching back to my planned painting for the challenge, I've completed a platoon of six Sdkfz 251/16D half-tracks with crew. 

These flamethrower vehicles, which formed part of the Panzergrenadier Pionier Kompanie, are from III/26 of 12.SS Panzer Division (the 3rd battalion of the 26. SS Panzergrenadier Regiment). These are for my 15mm Flames of War collection, as opposition for my Canadian, Pole and British forces. 




These models are a mix of Plastic Soldier Company and Battlefront models, with the Plastic Soldier Company upgrade sprue used to provide the Flamethrowers and crew. 

I've added Skytrex and Doms Decal markings. I went with hull numbers 621 to 626 based on what my research found. 







I've added weathering powders, with a liberal application of soot around the gun mounts. 

Crew figures are PSC models, and very soft in detail. However, I did made an effort to mix in some SS Camo trousers and tunics throughout. 

Basing using my standard technique to match in with all my other 15mm vehicles. 

Points for this entry would be six 15mm vehicles (48 points) and twelve 15mm infantry figures (24 points) for a total of 72 points. 

Great looking AFV's James, I really like the attention to details with the upgrades, decals (well beyond my skill set) and basing.  You could have a darn fine BBQ with this lot.  

My only question is the set of 6 of them, would you ever use them all on table at the same time.  I assume this is the number on the Org chart, but by late '44 I would think that org charts were a theoretical concept and that the Germans would throw anything on tracks together based on availability.

19 comments:

  1. love the camo. Numbers are important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin, trying to comu up with variations on a theme for my various platoons.

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking half tracks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Peter. I think you are underestimating the size of the games we play, I am after all in the company of DaveD!

    Yes, I'm building support options to an OoB. This unit was undeployed prior to D-day and our gaming covers everything from D-day onwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t doubt Dave’s capacity to field a huge game with tons of kit. I’m just not sure you’d see 6of these in anyone part of Europe in mid 1944. FYI I adjusted your score to 65 points. I counted twelve crew, counting 1/2 of the regular 2 points so that gave you 48 for the AFVs and twelve for the crew, plus 5 for the decals and detailing.

      Delete
  4. Lovely (and rather ferocious) tracks, James.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good - I hope not to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will make an appearance - might be time to re-run that German attack on the farms!

      Delete
  6. Very nice- I like the burn marks under the weapons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with Barks Very clever idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. gosh a great looking unit, would not fancy facing that lot!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's not to like here? Great basework, very neat painting and interesting camo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea there were Hanomag flamethrower variants, and they look so lovely with the flowers on the bases, rather incongruous but lovely work on the camo.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete