Tuesday 8 February 2022

From MartinC: Noel's Comet. Fire Moths (30pts)

 I didn't know Noel very well. We never met but we used to chat on messenger and were no way involved in fixing the result last year with Miles. It was a great shock when I heard of his death in September. Noel was not only a prodigious painter but this posts were long, lyrical and utterly barking mad. It will come as no surprise that Noel was a published poet and editor of poetry journals. I have one of his books, "Point me at the stars", published is 2018. They say a picture paints a 1000 words, a good poet can paint the some picture in 3 or 4 words and the best poems have these images running though my brain like a movie

This is one of his poems

Fire Moths


Deep in the maze of a gate-leg table

is my drop-leaf childhood watchtower.

Lost in a forest of folded deal,

I've a parade of lead: bandsmen in bearskins

marshalled by a lancer on a brindle cow.

His sheepdog jinks through table legs

and castle walls, herding an aviary

of pelicans and fishing birds.

Still pristine from Christmas.


To watch them pass, I squeeze

my face to the floorboards' wax and lavender

where the cellar light chinks through.

I can squint down at the silences

of fatherhood and coal-dust.

Scrawling notes in imaginary languages,

I push them through the floorboard gap.


My father may find them,

grey moths fallen on a heap of coke.

Unread they'll burn in the fireplace

their knots rising in sparks against the soot,

a comet tail, dazzling, bright ash.


This lead me to paint this


A lancer on a brindle cow

I painted it like I would have painted it as a child, yery simple with a goblin green base. Flock, tufts and washes and shading just seemed wrong

Hope you like him, hope Noel would.

1 x 28mm lancer on brindle cow = 10
Noel's comet = 20



I'm sure that Noel would have loved that figure. Well done for finding a figure to match the poem!

Tamsin


21 comments:

  1. Lovely poem and very apt figure!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as soon as I read the poem I knew I had to make and build the figure

      Delete
  2. Brilliant. Well done Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin, that's a lovely tribute, both the fanciful figure and letting Noel speak again. Thank you for that.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a great pleasure for me, my favourite of my posts so far

      Delete
  4. Excellent stuff. Every bit as mad as Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely tribute. For some reason I can imagine HG Wells type wargames on the floor with cow cavalry and matchstick cannons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, really takes me back to playing on my floor

      Delete
  6. Very nice, Martin! Both the text and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect tribute, Noel would have loved him.

    ReplyDelete