Tuesday 8 February 2022

From TashaH: Terrain makes me happy [Perelandra] (30 points)

I really do enjoy terrain. I can visualize it in a completely different way than I can miniature figures. Is that strange? 

I started off this project with these:


Not much to look at and certainly makes one wonder how on earth I am going to make this fit the requirement for Perelandra, which is Venus; Oceanic; Temptation. Let me show you...


From the angle this picture was taken, it looks like I created this piece on the rectangle slice of wood, but I actually used the 6" square. The rectangle piece was broken down (actually broken, I wanted it to be ragged) to create the platform that the mirror is sitting on. To create the wooden planks on the ground, I used a small pair of needle nose pliers and pried off pieces of the wood, bit by bit until each piece was the shape I wanted. To elevate the platform, I used three glass aquarium stones. The aquarium stones were too clear and shiny. I painted them with 3 layers of black Gesso and glued some fine gravel to them. Much better. I used river rocks for the stairs.






The mirror, braziers and crow are all WizKids miniatures. 

Where is the temptation? Where isn't the temptation! Venturing forth into a location you know is bound to be dangerous, but you can't help but feel to be compelled to continue anyway. Once you're in, continuing up the stairs, despite seeing a creature's tail peeking out from under the platform and then, finally, peering into a mirror that, is certainly, not going to bring about anything good!!

Points... I don't ever know how to score terrain. This is built on a 6x6 square. At its tallest it is 3" and at its smallest it is 3/8". 8 points for less than half of a 6" cube and 20 points for the planet for a total of 28 points?


I also enjoy making terrain, but the stuff I make tends to be larger than this - a great excuse to get out the big brushes!

This is certainly a good call for Perelandra. I'll round up the points to 30 to cover the painting of the mirror.

Tamsin

28 comments:

  1. Great piece Tasha! The flames and seductive, they talk to me…..

    ReplyDelete
  2. A luvbly piece of terrain Tasha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I would rather paint 10 real fences than a fence for any kind of miniature game...but I salute those with the mind and talent to tackle terrain! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I need my fence painted I’ll give you a call and we can work a trade haha!

      Delete
  4. That is a very cool piece of terrain. I like how it tells a story and makes you ask questions to what is going on. Wonderfully creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, I'm terrible at terrain. My best effort was cutting mirror card to size and fitting it to Heroquest doorways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! I get the impression that people either really enjoy making terrain, or don’t. There doesn’t seem to be much of a middle ground!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful representation of your imagination and skills! Great athmosphere on this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tamsin big brushes can be a lot of fun! I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on how to create larger terrain pieces. It’s all so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A charmingly desolate scene Natasha!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very evocative piece. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely piece of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great and very creative piece of scenery! Well done Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tasha:

    This is a very fine piece of work, well designed and executed, well done. If you're interested in upping your terrain game further, I recommend this fellow on YouTube, he's teaching me a lot.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike! I am always looking for ways to improve, so happy to take any recommendations!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to add the YouTube Link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73SjNa3DF5NjFWeX7w174Q

      Lots of great terrain tips on Joe's channel.
      Cheers, MikeP

      Delete
  13. Very nice little piece. You can really be creative with terrain.

    ReplyDelete