Tuesday 8 February 2022

From Curt: Klaus and Raegan in the Benighted Turnip Patch (19 points)

 
Those of you who read Sarah's post last week witnessed her spurning my generous, open-handed offer for her to paint terrain for my collection. I know, the nerve! Instead, the ungrateful woman decided to paint figures for herself, for, get this, 'her own personal enjoyment'. Pffft. Like, what's that all about? 

Anyway, having no luck in convincing her of her indentured servitude, her rendering assistance to me, I decided to do-up the &#*! turnip field myself. *

The turnip patch in question (around 5" x 12") is an old chestnut from the sadly closed 'Architects of War'. Like many of their terrain offerings, the field is a fairly substantial piece of thick resin, nicely detailed, with white metal fittings for the foliage. It was an easy build, finished with a quick skim coat of Liquitex to fill in any gaps, primed brown and then drybrushed up to spec. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy.

Now, really, how hard would that have been for you to do, Sarah? True true, certainly not as hard as that frying pan you're holding rather menacingly. No worries. It's all good luv, I'm sure I have a nice tank, or fortification for you to work on to make it up... *

Next, I also have a couple more characters to add to the Moonstone collection. This time it's two Faun, Klaus and Raegan. 

The background story for this pair is that Klaus, being sort of an awkward fella, was teased mercilessly as a young faun by all the other kids. Well, teased by all except Raegan. Taking pity on him, the young Leshavult priestess took him under her wing, keeping him safe and taught him how to protect himself. They now work as a dynamic duo, with Raegan operating as a spell caster, while Klaus runs interference, wreaking havoc with his big-honkin' flail.

I limited the colours to mostly earth tones, so both of these painted up fairly quickly.



As you can see, Klaus DOES NOT need more cowbell.



The floaty Raegan, casting spells, ensuring Klaus remains a happy, healthy, murder hobo.




As to points, I don't think the field is worth more than 5, and the two characters, being over 40mm should give me 14, so 19 total?

Thanks for dropping in for a peek!

- Curt

* Yes, my tongue took up prolonged residence in my cheek for this post. Perhaps to be joined by the rest of me on the couch. ;)

_______________________________________________________

Well, folks, there you have it. The possibly-soon-to-be-late Snowlord's turnip patch! And two more rather bonkers Moonstone figures to boot! I'll go with your suggested points for the turnip patch.

I'll be the first to dare say it, just in case news breaks before next Tuesday, "The Snowlord is dead! Long live the Snowlady!"

Tamsin

36 comments:

  1. 3 points.
    1. this is lovely
    2. it's not your go!
    3. It's been a pleasure to know you and you will be missed. Where shall i send the flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thankfully, Sarah has a wonderful and very indulgent sense of humour. Right Sarah. Right..?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for letting me squeeze in with the Tuesday cool kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the couch is comfortable ;-), but other then that a lovely entry Curt.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. Hopefully the XBox is all caught up on its updates... :)

      Delete
  4. Dangerous smack talk Curt, you're a brave man! A very nice turnip field, I had no idea Architect's of War had closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Sarah is a saint and indulges my schoolboy humour. :)

      Yes, very sad about AoW. They made terrific stuff. For a very well-written analysis of what happened read our very own Miles' piece on it:

      https://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/2016/05/a-perspective-on-architects-of-war.html?showComment=1464615574955

      Delete
  5. I’ve raided the Aladdin’s cave that is the Gaming Studio and come away with some Treasure ….
    And, I think Tamsin’s recent shipment of whips was conveniently mis-directed to me ….

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Curt, I love the wild and crazy figures here and you did an great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Byron. I hope we can get some of them out the next time you visit.

      Delete
  7. Delightful Moonstone figures, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Mon brave. Good thing the shed is heated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, cheers Pete. It's always good to have contingency accomodations.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful figures and the field is excellent. Sleep well with one eye open.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of nice greens here, well done! I expect them to be a prelude to an army green tank next week from either of you...
    And let's hope there are no accidents with the cowbell flail. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely looking pair of moonstone figures and a lovely turnip field, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind turning their noses up at that !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Painting terrain is mentally damaging! Full credit for getting that done...I would have needed the Moonstone figures on the table to keep me sane while applying any brushwork to turnips..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was a struggle, BUT I did manage to get it done in under an hour of brisk work, so that was satisfying.

      Delete
  13. These look great Curt, what wonderfully weird figures and I love the green cloak! And ah, the great things a girl can do with a suitably heavy frying pan… good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Moonstone figuresagain, I really love the sculpts and of course your brushwork is first rate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon! The sculpts really lend themselves to painting. These were particularly quick to get done.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful work on the turnips.

    I have two cheap IKEA mats that will make smashing vegetable gardens I need to convert. What colors did you use on the turnips and ground?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of using the same mats for my 2mm forests. For this field I used Warp Lightning Contrast paint and then highlighted with Americana craft paint ('Leaf Green') and a final bright highlight of GW 'Moot Green'.

      Delete
  16. Great work Curt! Really nice vibrant colours on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite cartoony and so lend themselves to a bright palette.

      Delete
  17. Entrancing. Please that it's something sensible (!) and not that Napoleonic Turnip-y nonsense.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Mike. I have to admit being a little taken by the whole Turnip28 thing. I don't understand it, but I don't think that's the point. :)

      Delete
  18. I do like flailing around madly.

    ReplyDelete