Tuesday 8 February 2022

From MikeP: Ancient Germanic Warband 2 (190 points)

 On the heels of my first instalment here from January 18, I am happy to present the rest of my Victrix 28mm ancient German war band.  The 38 figures complete the bag of 60 and allow me to take part in my local gaming group's new obsession, Clash of Spears.   When in Rome, fight the Romans, or something like that, as Wayne and Shuster once said

First up, six elite warriors, in either captured Roman gear or Germanic auxiliaries who have had enough of stupid Roman discipline and who miss beer gardens.


Next are 6 javelin armed skirmishers.   I've played COS a few times now and have learned to fear Roman light troops, so I need some fast movers with missile capability to go in, try to win the firefight, and clear my flanks.


As you can see, pants, shirts, and shoes are optional in the javelin corps.  I'm pretty sure the guy with the cloak is happiest on a cold night, maybe the rest just do a puppy pile.  As usual when doing photography, a few errors jump out like pimples on prom night.


Next up are 16 fellows with pointy sticks.  A few of them will supplement the javelin groups on the tabletop to give me two missile groups of 7 each.  The rest will take their place in the mob of battle.


Ten likely lads with choppers, just itching to get close and personal with some lucky legionnaire.



Here are the 38 figures in today's entry:


And here's the whole war band.  At 60 figures, this is the largest 28mm batch job I've ever done, and it's taken my pretty much all of January, but it was a very rewarding project and I'm looking forward to taking this lot to a gaming night soon.



It's a bad day for a Roman when he sees this coming at him.


I can't think of any way to use this entry for a planetary visit, as I used the first lot of 22 to visit Klendathu (invasion gone bad, see Varrus, Quintus), so I'll just claim 38 x 28mm figures at 5 each for a total of 190 points and leave it at that.   Next Tuesday I hope to visit Skaro, if all goes well in the secret laboratory!

Cheers,  MikeP


Good to see this warband completed, Padre! I was going to suggest that some of the javelinmen might also be waving their choppers threateningly at Romans, but a quick scroll back through the photos showed that they all have loincloths at least!

Tamsin

19 comments:

  1. Well done Mike! I don't think I could manage painting so many barbarian troops in big batches like this. Enjoy that feeling of satisfaction, having completed this task - almost immediately followed by someone asking "hey, when will you do more?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg:
      After batch painting proper SYW Prussians, where everyone is dressed the same, barbarians are a challenge, it's like going from ACW Union to ACW rebs, you have to think of something a little different for every figure, but it was a good challenge within this Challenge. :)

      Delete
  2. Wayne and Shuster! That takes me back to my childhood! You must feel so accomplished to have this undertaking completed. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good lines in that skit, from the days where most people had some school Latin.
      "What will you have, Flavius?"
      "I'll have a martinus."
      "Don't you mean a martini?"
      "If I'd wanted two, I would have asked for two!"

      Delete
  3. Great looking bunch of unwashed psychopaths!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. They only bathe in Roman blood, or so I'm told.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, these hairy Germans look terrific Mike! I love those group shots at the end. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt. The mass at the end is it's own reward.

      Delete
  5. Always satisfying to finish a set of something. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hairy bunch of Germanic nut casesPadre. You had me at Wayne anD Shuster. With the ides approaching I need to watch that episode again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. Rinse the Blood off my Toga is my all time favourite skit. My dad, who saw them perform during the war, had it all committed to memory.

      Delete
  7. Good looking horde, very nice to see the full force as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And very nice they look too Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Massive. The group portrays the stench I’m sure followed these troops. Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - why do we always assume that barbarians are smelly? Maybe they just had a relaxing spa day at a Roman bath - looting a spa is very relaxing. :)

      Delete
  10. That’s a great warband, Padre!

    ReplyDelete