Tuesday 24 January 2023

From KerryT: Anybody got a penknife or a watch? - 28mm Swiss hand gunners for Italian wars (60 points)

 Morning, afternoon & evening all

A small entry this week because of work pressure and a lack of painting time. I hope to rectify this in the next 2 weeks when we have the next 2 upcoming Mondays off here in NZ, firstly because of Auckland Anniversary Day and then Waitangi Day

This really is my slow burn project, maybe its more glacial than slow burn in reality though!

I think I started collecting figures for the Great Italian Wars in 2009 and painted my first unit of Landsknecht then after being captivated by Artizan Designs figures sold by Northstar. Later on, sometime in 2011 I think  I painted a small 24 man Swiss Pike block that I entered in one of the LPL painting competition rounds on the LAF forum. A few years later I'd added another 72 figures, painting 2 units in mainly red and the other in mainly yellow colours, here they are below

Not a current entry,these were painted ages ago

I'd always intended to add supporting missile troops and only recently bought some. Unfortunately Artizan only make 1 pack of 4 handgunners and no crossbowmen, so I've only bought 12 figures. I suspect this is not enough in game terms to support a unit of 96 pike

I've tried to match the colours to the older figures

Again I went for a mix of red & white, then mainly yellow, white & blue in the hope of making them look somewhat varied

Not historically accurate I suspect!





I realise that these are not enough in the way of support troops so in the long run though I have no idea of what rules I'll eventually use. I'll probably add some  Perry Miniatures plastic figures with Swiss heads and hope that they match up ok. If anyone has any suggestions for what troops or figures to add as support for Swiss pike I'd be grateful. Does anybody know if the Swiss also used 2 handed swordsmen and halberds to support the  pike?

Many thanks

In summary then

12 figures @ 5 points = 60 points
1 squirrel (grand total of 10) so far
Codpiece & feathers = 60 points



Those handgunners look great, Kerry - I'd say you've matched them closely enough to your previous chaps. As for your question at the end, the Swiss definitely had halberdiers mixed in with their pikes; not sure whether they had the greatsword chaps as well.

Tamsin

41 comments:

  1. Fantastic submission today, and the full pike band make a beatiful sight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Benito, I probably have too many Landsknecht though!

      Delete
  2. Great looking shot, there is always the plastic Warlord games landschnect missile box you could mix with the Perry plastic and metal Swiss heads, lovely pike block too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Iain, a box arrived last week but at the moment they're destined to help out my Warlord Landsknecht pike block!

      Delete
  3. Lovely missile men, and pike block in background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice painting and thanks for sharing the photo with your pike block to date - very impressive.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, I've been accumulating pike gradually over the years

      Delete
  5. These look great. I am sure Perry must do something that will match up somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter they do some halberdiers I think

      Delete
  6. Might be historically inaccurate, but very nice paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking work on those Arquebusiers Kerry! Every pike block needs (at least) a few bases! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff Kerry, especially the super neat piping on the tights the arquebusiers are wearing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, painting those was fun and quite easy as there were only 1 or 2

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive vibes Dave, looking forward to catching up in live chat next week I hope as I'll have time off

      Delete
    2. Oops missed a line, cheers Martin

      Delete
  10. A wonderful start to your Italian Wars shotte collection. :) The Perry stuff is lovely, so you should have some good luck there. I didn't know you were in LPL as well (I abused myself for several seasons). I should see if it's still up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt I only took part in 2 seasons but its really fitted with my schedule since

      Delete
  11. Great work as usual Kerry, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great brushwork on the hand gunners! The pike block in the rear is awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I now have 3 large pike blocks and must get some Spanish done soon

      Delete
  13. Great job, Kerry! The striped pants are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty easy with a small brush and steady hand as there weren't many I chose to stripe, a wise move

      Delete
  14. Very nice indeed and a fine addition to the army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, just want to say thank you Millsy for all the work you do behind the scenes

      Delete
  15. And finally a big thank you to Tamsin again

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great brushwork Kerry, loving the Swiss army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers I wonder what they'll be like in a fight

      Delete
  17. Great looking units, Kerry. The red and white combo is definitely my favorite. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred, it seems to be a repeated theme on lots of my Italian wars stuff

      Delete
  18. A delightful riot of colours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheers that's part of the attraction I think for Italian wars

    ReplyDelete