Thursday 9 February 2023

From JezT: Post 5 - Final Successors "White Shields" 28mm and Studio Tour (75 points)

Dear All 

Happy to post the final figures finishing my Successor army reinforcements (based for Basic Impetus rules). For this I pulled out a trusty guidebook that I imagine many of you have. 

First up from Aventine Miniatures I have some Foot Light troops "Mercenary Thureophoros" - so named as they are using the oval "thureos" style shield. The book mentions white shields so painted as such. Plus I have read "White Shields" always roll higher on the dice!


Next I have an interesting Heavy Foot unit of Lykians - I had not come across these before but they are covered in the book being Anatolian Persian style troops. These are in the Basic Impetus Successor Eumenes army list which I especially wanted to play. Figures here are Gripping Beast although with a Aventine standard bearer with head swap. Historically I dont think the foot were particularly strong or great quality. On the base I just have 7 figures but hopefully it still gives the impression of a more close order unit. Again the guide mentions "White Shields" so went with that and just added my own shield pattern.


As I mentioned playing Basic Impetus using the Successor Eumenes option thought I would share a picture of the complete army - as standard there are 8-12 units in a Basic Impetus army. In the photo the new units painted in this Challenge are the General Command base, Elephant, Thracian FL and Lykians. 

11 units in total as pike block has 2 units double deep

Finally I have made a late start on the studio tour beginning with the Historical Drama lot - thinking of the Crusades and the Ridley Scott "Kingdom of Heaven" film here. I have painted a free figure I got from a Footsore Miniatures order and changed the weapon  to a more impressive two handed sword. I was torn between options but finally decider to paint up as in the Order of Knight Hospitallers. 

Must admit the close up focus on an individual figure rather than unit effect is really stretching my painting ability but this gets me on the board at least.

So overall is 11 x 28mm foot (55 points) and a studio tour single figure and bonus (25 points) for a combined 80 points for this week. 

Happy painting ............ 

Cheers Jez

From TeemuL: They do look great, all the white shields especially! The complete army army photo is a nice touch, shows real progress. But what shall you paint next? The crusader looks fine, keep strecthing your painting. :) What is there on the base?

The Studio location bonus is only 20 points, not 25, so 75 in total.

15 comments:

  1. Nice Successors units and the crusaders knight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always great to see Hellenistic figures, and yes I too have a well thumbed copy of that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting as the newish Gripping Beast Lykian figures are almost an exact copy of the book illustration.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking successors and the crusader is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - now thinking about a Later Crusader army as a project. Can then do Hospitaller, Templar and Teutonic Knights!

      Delete
  4. Hi TeemuL - apologies as my description for points was a bit unclear but there are 12 x 28mm figs in total (60) plus one of those is the studio figure entry, so extra (20) for the bonus should make 80? In an unofficial points race with my brother and going for a PB so the 5 points might be critical. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I should have paid more attention. I'll add the 5 points for you, tomorrow if no esrlier.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work those shields look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking Successors Jez!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the thureophoroi and the Lycians, your painting is great, but my favourite is the crusader. The great sword suits him well! Nice work, Jez!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great Jez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work, Jez. I especially like your crusader.

    ReplyDelete