Thursday 9 February 2023

From AndrewB: Dragons and Lightsabers and more! (Fantasy)(40pts)

Today’s update has an odd combination!   A pair of lightsaber wielding gents, and two small dragons!  

To start with, the fantasy studio minis! A buddy of mine wanted to run some sort of dragon hunt with some medieval knights and men at arms, but challenged me to paint them monochrome red and yellow, to correspond with some of the groups of hunters.  They’re Reaper miniatures, which are growing on me a bit.  I’m not sure about the soft plastic, but I’m also not a fan of how my paint jobs turned out, so more work is needed before I judge the figures.  



Next, a fantastic Luke Skywalker from Battle Valor Miniatures. I attempted to get the surfer hair look of 1977, and he’s still done up in his teenage angst clothes from Tatooine, but he’s got his pappy’s old lightsaber   Probably out trying to cut womp rats in half or something. Next, a Star Wars Legion scale Darth Mail figure I 3D printed   I don’t remember where I found the STL, but he printed decently.  I painted both of these recently live over the course of about an hour on the YouTube channel ‘Not Jay’s Tabletop Gaming’ if anyone would like to watch!  

It’s pretty wild to see the scale difference between a traditional 28mm and a modern ‘32mm’ figure, but that’s all good.  I hadn’t realized how little color there is in Maul’s clothing until it became time to paint, but by then I was busy ruining his face tattoos(face tattoos?  He could be a part of my trashy Star Wars).

These four figures should net 20pts, with an additional 20 for the studio, for a total of 40pts. I even remembered my map this time! 

From TeemuL: Good stuff Andrew! Let me get this straight, there is one yellow, one red, one white and one black mini here? Quite monochromate, but very nice. I have always liked Luke, but your Maul is terrific. In my opinion it is easier to paint black than white, I don't know how you feel, but Maul is quite dark indeed - Dark Maul. :) You seem to be conquering the Studios nicely, almost time for the climax!

7 comments:

  1. Nice work, Andrew! :)

    @Teemu - red, yellow, white and black? Isn't that the (Anders) Zorn palette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zorn, yes it is. I had to google to verify it. I guess the next post will be using this palette on single mini.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Andrew. I like the bright highlights on the yellow dragon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pair of dragons and a great pair of star wars characters!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work. The dragons came out well. Those soft plastic Reapers can be nasty to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on all of these! The dragons came out well, I love Luke’s surfer vibe and your Dark Maul is very good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete