Thursday 9 February 2023

From SteveA: 10mm characters and terrain for Kings of War (30points)

This week I competed the last  of the minis I needed to have a fully painted 2000pt Despoiler force for Kings of War, with a few extra minis to have some options to change between games.  A magus conclave for ranged attacks, and a couple mounted commanders and a spell slinger I can attach to regiments.
I play a lightly bent version of KoW with 10 mm minis rather than 28 mm minis on base, and I use Depoilers as proxies for units from the rule book's Varangur army list. Same rules and points as the real KoW rules, but a different look on the game table.


For the Magus conclave, which serve as an artillery unit, I roughly applied a base layer of spackle in an effort to create the impression that the five mages were collectively summoning up a swirling mass of chaotic energy from which each turn one among them could channel a magically lobbed ranged attack.  (So I am hoping this pieces does not look like five guys in bath robs standing on a badly mowed lawn.)


I also completed the first of the 10mm terrain I am working on to enable me to host a KoW game upon a wargame table kitted out to look more like a combat among the ruins within the lost wooded scrub lands, rather than a battle upon the endless blasted barren plains (which is the kindest theme I can think of to describe the shameful horror of a naked game table top).


Both terrain pieces feature some spare bits and bobs ByronM gifted me, and both pieces  make use of old CDs for the base bottoms.  I reimagined a slightly miss-printed castle corner tower into a lone tower a top a jutting mound, and I fashioned some extras from a bag of tiny trees into a wooded hill.  

The tower is 6 inches high and a CD is 5 inches wide, so I am thinking the two terrain pieces combined neatly fill a 6x6 inch cube. 

10mm figures - proxies for Kings of War
Despoiler Lord On Steed (Mounted) 2x2pts = 4pts
Despoiler Mage (Foot Figure)    = 1 pt
Magus Conclave  (Foot Figure) 5x1pt = 5 pts 
Tower and wooded hill (Terrain) 6x6inch = 20pts
Total 30 points

From TeemuL: I really like the look of 10mm Kings of War. In the past I took a quick glance to KoW after WHFB was blown away, but at least then the theme was very thin - there was practically none. I liked the special rules of differenct factions in Old World, Dwarfs mistrusting Elfs, Orcs hating everyone, Elfs hating Orcs and ignoring Dwarfs etc and all that lacked from KoW, at least then. But I'm quite sure, if I ever get into KoW, I will do it in 10mm! Byron and you have done a good job influencing me. :)

The minis look good, as good as guys in bath robes can look... The tower is terrific and your claim for terrain cube sounds reasonable. Both of the terrain pieces are great and using old CDs for this purpose is always heart warming - I do that, too, one of the rare materials, which are thin, cheap and won't warp.

8 comments:

  1. That's very cool Steve. The "five guys in bath robes" are superb. This could easily be 15mm or bigger it's so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking terrain and the five blokes in bath robes are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice terrain and figures, Steve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all came out nicely. Love the tower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous looking additions to your force, Steve. I love 10mm for large-formations fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minis, and the tower is ace! Lots of space for a lawnmower.

    ReplyDelete